Getting Data In

report on counters

mlevenson
Explorer

I am trying to create a report of network bytes from the Universal Forwarder, WMI is not an option for me. Here is an excerpt of the fields

5/11/12
8:30:42.863 AM

05/11/2012 08:30:42.863
collection="Network Interface"
object="Network Interface"
counter="Bytes Sent/sec"
instance="HP NC7782 Gigabit Server Adapter _3"
Value=2578.7604252584738

host=STBACKUP06   Options|  
sourcetype=Perfmon:Network Interface   Options|  
source=Perfmon:Network Interface   Options

3 » 5/11/12
8:30:42.863 AM

05/11/2012 08:30:42.863
collection="Network Interface"
object="Network Interface"
counter="Bytes Received/sec"
instance=isatap.redmond.corp.microsoft.com
Value=1523.9033187413756

host=STBACKUP06   Options|  
sourcetype=Perfmon:Network Interface   Options|  
source=Perfmon:Network Interface   Options

The counter's are different but they both use the word Value for data and I tried to use a search to join these and it failed.

source="Perfmon:Network Interface" host=stbackup06 counter="Bytes Sent/sec"|stats avg(Value) AS Bytes_in by host|join host[search source="Perfmon:Network Interface" host=stbackup06 counter="Bytes Recieved/sec"|stats avg(Value) AS Bytes_Rec by host]|timechart avg(Bytes_in) avg(Bytes_Rec)

I ended up with no data. What am I missing?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

cphair
Builder

For network bytes, it can make sense to show the two values together on a graph. Try a variation on the below search, make it a stacked area chart, and see if you like the results. (Subsearches are often pretty slow, and I try to avoid them.)

host=stbackup06 counter="Bytes Sent/sec" OR counter="Bytes Received/sec" | timechart avg(Value) as Avg by counter

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...