Getting Data In

inputs.conf blacklist format- Is there a format that needs to be adhered to when using a blacklist with regex?

dolj
Loves-to-Learn Everything

is there a format that needs to be adhered to when using a blacklist with regex? 

I am trying to format "New Process Name:" with a regex that will extract events from a specific data source. 

I have tested the regex with regex101 and it identifies the events that I want to filter and is basically

blacklist3 = New\sProcess\sName\:\s+C\:\\Program\sFiles\s\(x86\)\\......

should that work or do I need to format it something more like

blacklist3 = New Process Name = C\:\\Program\sFiles\s\(x86\)\\...... 

my current blacklist is resulting in 

ExecProcessor - message from ""C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunk-winevtlog.exe"" splunk-winevtlog - Processing: 'blacklist3' [legacy], range error found in 'regex'......

According to this document,

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.3/Data/Whitelistorblacklistspecificincomingdata

blacklist = <your_custom_regex>

should work. 

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dolj,

when you have "\" backslash in your blacklist, you have to escape it using three backslashes:

blacklist3 = New\sProcess\sName:\s+C:\\\Program\sFiles\s\(x86\)\\\......

you can try it in Splunk search to find the correct regex to filter your filenames, something like this:

| makeresults | eval _raw= "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google" | regex "C:\\\Program Files \(x86\)\\\Google"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

jotne
Builder

Escaping with regex may make it hard to read, but luckily there is a smart way around it.
You can start and stop in regex with \Q  and \E on what you like to get literal.

| makeresults
| eval _raw= "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google"
| regex "\QC:\Program Files (x86)\Google\E"

This makes regex much more readable.
https://www.regular-expressions.info/characters.html

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...