Getting Data In

Why does btool quit with "SPLUNK_HOME must be set. Stopping."?

mykol_j
Path Finder

My GoogleFu is failing me. There's a lot of btool tutorials, but I can't find this solution...

I'm on a Windows 10 system, trying to debug the effective config of it's universal client. This same message with both command prompt (cmd.exe) and with PowerShell.

I think it's apparent that it's a variable setting, somewhere, but where?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Probably need to set environment variable SPLUNK_HOME. Try suggestion from this post

https://www.reddit.com/r/Splunk/comments/3zrobq/quick_way_to_set_environmental_variables_windows/

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's a typical message when you try to run btool on its own.

See the difference:

PickleRick_0-1679066496611.png

John_Littleton
Explorer

Check C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\splunk-launch.conf and make sure SPLUNK_HOME is set to where you installed. Typically

SPLUNK_HOME=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder 

mykol_j
Path Finder

Thanks! That's it, for some reason that was commented out.

# SPLUNK_HOME=C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Probably need to set environment variable SPLUNK_HOME. Try suggestion from this post

https://www.reddit.com/r/Splunk/comments/3zrobq/quick_way_to_set_environmental_variables_windows/

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...