Getting Data In

Understanding and debugging TCP input, is there is a way to understand/view the raw data routed to Splunk?

davidepala
Path Finder

Hi all
I have a tcp stream from logstash to a universal forwarder, the forwarder is already used to forward other inputs (windows log from other servers and some stanzas to monitor local files) and works fine. I've setup a new tcp input on tcp port 9999, this is my inputs.conf

[tcp://9999]
index = firewalls_index
sourcetype = firewalls
disabled = false

In my Splunk I don't see anything in this index but if use netcat (stopping splunk svc) I can see the stream of kv values, thats certified and has no network issue. Is there is a way to understand/view the raw data routed to Splunk? thanks!

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check index=_internal firewalls to see if you have any sourcetype parsing issues, or swap firewalls with 9999 in that search. 🙂

0 Karma

davidepala
Path Finder

i've done but no result

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could try tcpdump -i eth0 tcp port 9999 -nn to see if traffic is actually flowing while Splunk is running - that would verify that connections are properly established and data arrives.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...