Getting Data In

Unable to extract timestamp from a CSV file

abhishek5282
Engager

Hi All,
I'm trying to extract some reports form a sample csv file. the first two lines are:

BOT_ID,TECHNOLOGY,TEST_CASE_ID,TEST_CASE_NAME,TEST_PARAM_NAME,TEST_PARAM_VALUE,TEST_PARAM_UNIT,TEST_CASE_RESULT_ID,TEST_SUITE_RESULT_ID,TIMESTAMP
DD-99-AA-55-11-11,LTE,14,NA,LAC,ffff,NA,12e285e0-7a38-416e-b077-88aca4add7c8,fedec8a8-a156-4fc9-a63a-049523f2972e,11-01-2013 12:13:16

it fails with an error "could not use strptime to parse timestamp (null).
Tried adding TIME_FORMAT=%d-%m-%y %H:%M:%S but this does not work either.
What an I missing?

My prop file looks like this:

-#your settings
NO_BINARY_CHECK=1
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
TIME_FORMAT=%d-%m-%y %H:%M:%S
TIME_PREFIX=^([^,]*,){14}

-#set by detected source type
CHECK_FOR_HEADER=true
KV_MODE=none
pulldown_type=true

linu1988
Champion

your settings

NO_BINARY_CHECK=1
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
TIME_FORMAT=%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S
TIME_PREFIX=(^.+,)

set by detected source type

CHECK_FOR_HEADER=true
KV_MODE=none
pulldown_type=true

please try the above settings.

0 Karma

samhughe
Path Finder

Assuming your sample event is accurate, I think you have an error with: TIME_PREFIX=^([^,]*,){14} shouldn't it be {9} not {14}? Just tested with http://gskinner.com/RegExr/ which I find is a useful test tool for regex issues and changing it to {9} picks up everything before the timestamp.
Another thing to bear in mind is that the default lookahead is 150 characters, which shouldn't affect your sample line but might want to keep that in mind if you have longer lines.

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

Are you indexing the files? You dont have to use any settings as splunk has inbuild capability to see the csv files. I would want you to check with UI data file addition. See how its being read and apply TIMEFORMAT there. By the way, if it doesn't read also you can also convert the timestamp with strptime function.

0 Karma

abhishek5282
Engager

Thanks Linu, but this does not work 😞

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

try with TIME_FORMAT=%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...