Getting Data In

How to resolve SSL error with tcp-ssl input?

roberteves
Explorer

I have a Splunk server which is receiving data on a tcp-ssl port successfully for a particular application (SecureCircle). I'm trying to set up a new port to receive data from Palo Alto firewalls but it's running into an the following error:

WARN  SSLCommon - Received fatal SSL3 alert. ssl_state='SSLv3 read client key exchange A', alert_description='certificate unknown'

I'm using the same certificate an SSL configuration for both ports so I know that the cert is fine. It's not a self singed cert. It's valid until 2022.

I've been looking through some old posts with similar errors but none of them seemed to match my issue.  Below is my Port and SSL configuration from the btool inputs command

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_paloalto/local/inputs.conf              [SSL]
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/inputs.conf                             _rcvbuf = 1572864
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/inputs.conf                             allowSslRenegotiation = true
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/inputs.conf                             cipherSuite = ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/inputs.conf                             ecdhCurves = prime256v1, secp384r1, secp521r1
/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/inputs.conf                               host = splunkhost.mydomain.com
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/inputs.conf                             index = default
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_paloalto/local/inputs.conf              requireClientCert = false
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_paloalto/local/inputs.conf              serverCert = /opt/splunk/etc/auth/splunkhost.mydomain.com/splunkhost.mydomain.com.pem
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_paloalto/local/inputs.conf              sslPassword = [Redacted]
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/inputs.conf                             sslQuietShutdown = false
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_paloalto/local/inputs.conf              sslVersions = tls1.2
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_paloalto/local/inputs.conf              [tcp-ssl://6514]
/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/inputs.conf                             _rcvbuf = 1572864
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_paloalto/local/inputs.conf              host = splunkhost.mydomain.com
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_paloalto/local/inputs.conf              index = pan_logs
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_paloalto/local/inputs.conf              sourcetype = pan:log

The configuration for the working port is:

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/ahs_ta_securecircle/local/inputs.conf             [tcp-ssl://8443]
/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/inputs.conf                               host = splunkhost.mydomain.com
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/ahs_ta_securecircle/local/inputs.conf             index = dlp
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/ahs_ta_securecircle/local/inputs.conf             sourcetype = SecureCircle

Labels (1)
0 Karma

FlorianScho
Path Finder

Hi, 

having the exact same issue. Were you able to fix it?

0 Karma

kdulle
Explorer

Ditto here.

I hammered on it for about a day, and finally just went back to udp.

I may just have to configure a vpn tunnel to send it through as a work around, sad.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...