Getting Data In

Need assistance with a command for application.

jovnice
Explorer

I keep getting an error message when I am attempting to this command 

* EventCode=* user=* WinEventLog:Application
| eval src_nt_host=coalesce(src_nt_host,host)
| eval lockout=if(EventCode==644 OR EventCode==4740 OR EventCode==4624,"Yes","No")

| stats latest(_time) as time, latest(src_nt_host) as host, latest(lockout) as lockedout values(dest_nt_domain) as dest_nt_domain count(eval(EventCode=4625 OR EventCode=4771)) as count values(Source_Network_Address) as Source_Network_Address by user
| eval time=strftime(time,"%c")
| rename user to "User Name", Source_Network_Address to "IP Address", count to "Number of Failures"
| table dest_nt_domain "User Name" host lockedout time "IP Address" "Number of Failures"

I need to pull the application that are running in the event viewer. I was able to pull them in a different location, but I want it to say more information about with the user information.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jovnice
Explorer

I also try this for my search: source="WinEventLog:Application" OR WinEventLog:Security EventCode=* user=*

Received this for a message: No results found. Try expanding the time range.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jovnice
Explorer

I also try this for my search: source="WinEventLog:Application" OR WinEventLog:Security EventCode=* user=*

Received this for a message: No results found. Try expanding the time range.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jovnice ,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jovnice ,

I hint to add index=wineventlog because gives you better performnces that the following solution!

anyway, if you don't want this olution, you could add the wineventlog index to the default search path (in [Settings > Roles> <your_role> > Indexes].

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@jovnice - Please specify index. If you don't know the index, run this search for a longer time range, something like the last 7 days or so.

index=* source="*WinEventLog:Application"

Try this search and see if you see any results. Once you see any results then you can add more search criteria.

I hope this helps!!! Kindly upvote if this helps!!

jovnice
Explorer
Error in 'search' command: Unable to parse the search: Comparator '=' has an invalid term on the left hand side: "index-name">source.
The search job has failed due to an error. You may be able view the job in the 
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please copy-paste the search query I gave.

Also, put your search query that you are trying to run here, so I can check what's wrong.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jovnice,

WinEventLog:Application should be the source field and not a string as you are using.

Anyway, what's the error you're receiving?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
index=<index-name> source="WinEventLog:Application" EventCode=* user=*

Also, please mention the specific error that you are getting, so we can help!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...