Getting Data In

How to do time extraction for HTTP Event Collector JSON logs?

scottsavareseat
Path Finder

I have an HTTP Event Collector input collecting JSON data via syslog forwarder. The syslog-ng message looks like:

body("{ \"source\": \"${.splunk.source}\",
        \"event\":  ${MSG}
}")

I can see the message and the proper source in my indexer. But time extraction is the problem. Because there is often a delay between the log and the time syslog receives it, I want to use a field in the message to grab the timestamp... A message looks like this:

{"data":"stuff","time_stamp":"2022-05-10 17:14:23Z","value1":"more_stuff"}

So, I create a props.conf on my indexer cluster that looks like:

[my_sourcetype]
DATETIME_CONFIG =
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 30
TIME_PREFIX = time_stamp\":\"
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %h:%M:%S%Z
TZ = UTC

I've confirmed the sourcetype is correct as I define it in the inputs for HEC and they match. But for the life of me, I can't seem to get Splunk to find the time. I've tried looking for errors using this search:

index = _internal log_level = WARN OR log_level =ERROR  "timestamp"

(found in an older community post, so thanks to the author) but I find nothing. I tried playing in the UI and creating a new data type (the add new data widget). In that UI, my props.conf should work. But for some reason on the cluster it doesnt.

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can follow? Am I missing something that might help this work better?

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Is your syslog forwarder a universal forwarder or a heavy forwarder (Splunk Enterprise instance acting as forwarder)?

Also, make sure you're using this as TIME_FORMAT (%H instead of %h for hour).

TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S%Z
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...