Deployment Architecture

Configurations for a "baseline" + "updates" type index

cplunk
Explorer

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the most recommended way to set up an index that stores data ingested in the following manner:

1) Every ~30 days a baseline of events is sent, specifying the current "truth".

2) Between baselines, small updates are ingested, specifying diffs from the previous baseline.

A baseline would be around ~1 GB, and the small updates would be ~1 MB every few days.

Queries on this index will build a "current state" by querying the baseline + the updates since. This would require a baseline + updates to be kept in warm buckets. 

I was wondering what would be the best indexes.conf configuration for this case?

My initial thought was:

frozenTimePeriodInSecs=7776000  # 90 days to keep ~3 baselines
maxDataSize=2000 # max size of a baseline
maxWarmDBCount=30

The reason I set maxWarmDBCount to 30 was in case of an update every day, and automatic rolling from hot to warm bucket. If hot buckets can stay hot for multiple days, I could reduce this number.

Any inputs?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...