Dashboards & Visualizations

How to extract the timestamp from csv file?

Azwaliyana
Path Finder

Azwaliyana_1-1643262757284.png

It configure the timestamp to be the date when I upload the file. I want the timestamp to be like the highlighted one. How can I do that?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

Assuming your Splunk timezone is set to the same timezone of the servicenow timestamp:

| rex "\,(?<event_time>\d{2}\/\d{2}\/\d{4}\s\d{2}\:\d{2})\,\d{2}\/"
| eval _time=strptime(event_time,"%m/%d/%Y %H:%M")

0 Karma

Azwaliyana
Path Finder

Azwaliyana_1-1643277846216.png

Why did the 1/12/22 still come out as the result? 

Thank you

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Because you're in US or somewhere similar and use the illogical format m/d/y whereas your responder is used to a normal format and showed you parsing for d/m/y 🙂

Anyway, the "solution" with parsing and overwriting _time at search time works only in search time (obviously) after you've already found the events. So it will not affect your search time ranges.

If you want the events to be indexed at the right time, you need to configure proper timestamp recognition for your sourcetype (define columns extraction and proper time format and time column(s))

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...