Dashboards & Visualizations

How to create a search to add field values in a table even if they are null values?

Mrig342
Contributor

Hi All,

I have got a query like below to get the count of different "Actual_Status" values in below tabular format:

... | rex field=_raw "\<tr\>\s+\<td\s\>(?P<Domain>[^\<]+)\<\/td\>"
| rex field=_raw "\<tr\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>(?P<App_Name>[^\<]+)\<\/td\>"
| rex field=_raw "\<tr\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>(?P<Machine>[^\<]+)\<\/td\>"
| rex field=_raw "\<tr\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>(?P<Type>[^\<]+)\<\/td\>"
| rex field=_raw "\<tr\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>(?P<Instance>[^\<]+)\<\/td\>"
| rex field=_raw "\<tr\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>\<b\>\<\w+\s\w+\=\"\w+\"\>(?P<Actual_Status>[^\<]+)\<\/\w+\>\<\/b\>\<\/td\>"
| rex field=_raw "\<tr\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>[^\<]+\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>\<b\>\<\w+\s\w+\=\"\w+\"\>[^\<]+\<\/\w+\>\<\/b\>\<\/td\>\s+\<td\s\>\<b\>\<\w+\s\w+\=\"\w+\"\>(?P<Expected_Status>[^\<]+)\<\/\w+\>\<\/\>\<\/td\>"
| dedup App_Name,Machine,Type,Instance,Actual_Status,Expected_Status
| stats count as Total by Actual_Status

Actual_Status Total
HAWK 207
RUNNING 46
RUNNING-OOS 91
STOPPED 415

I am using these 7 values of "Actual_Status" for our dashboard (RUNNING,RUNNING-OOS,STOPPED,HAWK,STOPPING, STANDBY & ERROR) and I want to put all the fieldvalues in the table even if its count is zero. Like in below table so that I can show the visualization in "Column chart" view in a more meaningful way:

Actual_Status Total
HAWK 207
RUNNING 46
RUNNING-OOS 91
STOPPED 415
STANDBY 0
STOPPING 0
ERROR 0

Requesting you all to help me modify the query to get the expected table and dashboard visualization.

Your kind inputs are highly appreciated..!!
Thank You..!!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk is designed to find stuff in your logs so it doesn't handle absent events well.  Since the set of possible Actual_Status values is infinite (as far as Splunk knows), it can't fill in missing values for you.  You may be able to do so yourself, however.

<<your query>>
| append [| makeresults format=csv data="Actual_Status,Total
HAWK,0
RUNNING,0
RUNNING-OOS,0
STOPPED,0
STANDBY,0
STOPPING,0
ERROR,0"]
| stats sum(Total) as Total by Actual_Status

The append command adds placeholder values to the query then the final stats command combines the results.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Mrig342
Contributor

Hi @richgalloway,

Thank you for your inputs.. I am able to get the table as expected. But if I use the "Column chart" visualization, I am not able to assign separate colors to each field values although I was able for "Pie chart" visualization.

Can you please suggest on how I can achieve that in column visualization.

Thank You..!!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Both chart types use the charting.seriesColors option to set colors for each value.  Depending on your query, charting.fieldColors may be what you should use.

---

Mrig342
Contributor

Hi @richgalloway,

Yes, I used charting.fieldColors in my query. Like below:

<option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.overflowMode">ellipsisNone</option>
        <option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.rotation">0</option>
        <option name="charting.axisTitleX.visibility">visible</option>
        <option name="charting.axisTitleY.visibility">visible</option>
        <option name="charting.axisTitleY2.visibility">visible</option>
        <option name="charting.axisX.abbreviation">none</option>
        <option name="charting.axisX.scale">linear</option>
        <option name="charting.axisY.abbreviation">none</option>
        <option name="charting.axisY.scale">linear</option>
        <option name="charting.axisY2.abbreviation">none</option>
        <option name="charting.axisY2.enabled">0</option>
        <option name="charting.axisY2.scale">inherit</option>
        <option name="charting.chart">column</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.bubbleMaximumSize">50</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.bubbleMinimumSize">10</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.bubbleSizeBy">area</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.nullValueMode">gaps</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.showDataLabels">all</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.sliceCollapsingThreshold">0.01</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.stackMode">default</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.style">minimal</option>
        <option name="charting.drilldown">none</option>
        <option name="charting.fieldColors">{"STOPPED":0xFF0000,"HAWK":0xF8BE34,"RUNNING":0x006D9C,"STOPPING":0xDC4E41,"ERROR":0x00FFFF,"RUNNING-OOS":0x800000,"STANDBY":0xFFA500}</option>
        <option name="charting.layout.splitSeries">0</option>
        <option name="charting.layout.splitSeries.allowIndependentYRanges">0</option>
        <option name="charting.legend.labelStyle.overflowMode">ellipsisMiddle</option>
        <option name="charting.legend.mode">standard</option>
        <option name="charting.legend.placement">none</option>
        <option name="charting.lineWidth">2</option>
        <option name="trellis.enabled">0</option>
        <option name="trellis.scales.shared">1</option>
        <option name="trellis.size">medium</option>

Anything you can suggest..?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If "STOPPED", "HAWK", "RUNNING", etc. are values of a field rather than separate field names then charting.fieldColors won't work and you'll have to use charting.seriesColors.

<option name="charting.fieldColors">{0xFF0000,0xF8BE34,0x006D9C,0xDC4E41,0x00FFFF,0x800000,0xFFA500}</option>

You may have to experiment with the order of the values to get the desired color-to-value mapping.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...