Dashboards & Visualizations

How to automatically deploy a dashboard to every Splunk user account?

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm currently the Splunk admin and I have about 40 users of Splunk. I want to put a dashboard on the app/launcher/home showing what indexes are available. I don't want to do this manually, but rather add the dashboard once and have it apply to all their accounts. How would I do this?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Create an app, make your dashboard the default view of that app and then edit the users and make this app the "default app" for each user.

View solution in original post

bmacias84
Champion

This many not be the best answer or the ideal one, but here is how I accomplish this. If you are using the deployment server or SHC master create an new app called user-prefs. Now create a user-prefs.conf in user-prefs/default/. Add the following into the user-prefs.conf which will make a dashboard default for all users. This will make user-prefs a managed app so be careful.

[general_default]
default_namespace = $default
appOrder = search
display.page.home.dashboardId = /servicesNS/nobody/<your_app>/data/ui/views/<dashboard>
# display.page.home.dashboardId = /servicesNS/nobody/search/data/ui/views/indexes_in_splunk
# NOTE: showWhatsNew is no longer used
showWhatsNew = 1

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Create an app, make your dashboard the default view of that app and then edit the users and make this app the "default app" for each user.

athorat
Communicator

I would think of creating app first save the dashboard to that app.
Then create a role for that app and assigning the role to all the users who need access to the dashboard.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...