Dashboards & Visualizations

Extract first characters of field if

marco_massari11
Communicator

Hi,

I need to extract first 7 characters of  a network device name, like this:

| eval site=substr(Device,1,7)                                   to identify the site

But if the the first 7 characters are equals to site=mysite1 I need also the last 4 charatcters of the device name:

| substr(Device, -4)

If the first 7 characters are !=mysite1 I don't need the last 4 

How can I merge those conditions in a unique field? beacause at the end of the query I have :

| chart count(Interface) as Interfaces by site             so I need only one eval site field

Thanks in advance!

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

marco_massari11
Communicator

If the first 7 characters are equal to mysite1, the query takes only the last 4 characters, but I need the first 7 and the last 4. So the solution is:

| eval site=case(substr(Device,1,7)=="mysite1",substr(Device1 , 7) + substr(Device, -4),1=1,substr(Device,1,7) )

Thanksss!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Super Champion

@marco_massari11  Try below

| eval site=case(substr(Device,1,7)=="mysite1",substr(Device, -4),1=1,substr(Device,1,7) )

marco_massari11
Communicator

If the first 7 characters are equal to mysite1, the query takes only the last 4 characters, but I need the first 7 and the last 4. So the solution is:

| eval site=case(substr(Device,1,7)=="mysite1",substr(Device1 , 7) + substr(Device, -4),1=1,substr(Device,1,7) )

Thanksss!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...