All Apps and Add-ons

Unable to see the Average Response Time entries

asm_coe
Explorer

alt textHello,

I have deployed splunk essentials for Application analytics under splunk 7.2.4(trial version)

I tried to configure the use case - Application Content / Identify Slow Web Pages which is part of the examples under the app.

Upon the ingestion of web server access logs, i ran the following command given under the example.

sourcetype="access_common"
| stats avg(response_time) as art by uri_path
| eval "Average Response Time (ms)" = round(art,2)
| sort -"Average Response Time (ms)"
| table uri_path "Average Response Time (ms)"

I'm unable to see Average Response entries under statistics.

A sample Extract from logs below.

06/02/2019
23:58:59.000
10.150.19.125 - - [06/Feb/2019:23:58:59 +0530] "GET /itpam/StartAgent?processType=startAgent≺ocess=startAgent⁢pam.agent.httpscompatible=false&AGENT_STARTUP_VERSION=1&DeprecatedComms=true&requestType=launchagent HTTP/1.1" 404 1097
host = source = localhost_access_log.2019-02-06.txt sourcetype = access_common
06/02/2019
23:57:30.000
10.150.19.125 - - [06/Feb/2019:23:57:30 +0530] "GET /itpam/StartAgent?processType=startAgent≺ocess=startAgent⁢pam.agent.httpscompatible=false&AGENT_STARTUP_VERSION=1&DeprecatedComms=true&requestType=launchagent HTTP/1.1" 404 1097
host = * source = localhost_access_log.2019-02-06.txt sourcetype = access_common

0 Karma
1 Solution

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@asm_coe

Can you please confirm response_time coming in event? Just execute the below search.

sourcetype="access_common" | table _time response_time uri_path 

If response_time coming then try below search.

| eval art = round(art,2) 
| sort -art 
| table uri_path art | rename art as "Average Response Time (ms)"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

asm_coe
Explorer

@kamlesh_vaghela - yes. seems like response_time is not part of the log events. Attached is the output for the command below.

I don't see any extractions for this field. yet i seealt text the field -response time under the table with null values.

0 Karma

asm_coe
Explorer

@kamlesh_vaghela - Thanks for your reply. Could see response time is not coming for this search which you provided. Please find the image attached. What could be issue and is there any way to get the response time under the table. Please advise.

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@asm_coe

Can you please confirm response_time coming in event? Just execute the below search.

If response_time coming then try below search.

| eval art = round(art,2) 
| sort -art 
| table uri_path art | rename art as "Average Response Time (ms)"
0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@asm_coe

I think response_time field is not coming with an event. Is this field coming via any extractions ??
Can you please share output from the below search?

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@asm_coe

It seems response_time not available in the event. Can you please whether any other field contains value of response_time?

And one request: can you please reply me by adding a comment below my comment instead of adding new comment?? 🙂 🙂

0 Karma

asm_coe
Explorer

@kamlesh_vaghela - To my understanding no other field contains value of response_time. Also i have confirmed the same with the apps team.

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@asm_coe

Yeah. I think you got your answer, why "Average Response Time" doesn't have any value in search table. Kindly upvote my comment which is useful to you and accepts the answer to close this question.

Happy Splunking

0 Karma

asm_coe
Explorer

@kamlesh_vaghela Sure, Thanks for your assistance.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...