All Apps and Add-ons

[Splunk Add-On Builder] Checkpoint using wrong events from JSON

s2233
Explorer

I'm running into a strange issue with checkpointing--and it seems to have to do with the JSON array returning events in no clear order.

The REST URL I'm querying looks like this:

https://RESTURL.com/api/incidents?updated_after=2021-04-25T12:00:00Z 

Sample output:

[

{
"id":847,
"summary":"test",
"updated_at":"2021-04-25T12:23:57Z"

}

{

"id":842,
"summary":"test 2",
"updated_at":"2021-04-26T14:44:55Z"

}

]

If I try to use the "updated_at" time from the last event--using a "Checkpoint field path" like [-1].updated_at--the same event often stays as the last event in the array, even if there are others that are more up-to-date. So the checkpoint doesn't increment. (same issue if I try [0].updated_at )

So with something like the example above, the app will keep querying for updated_after=2021-04-26T14:44:55Z until the order of events happens to randomly change down the line.

Is there a way to use either "JSON path" or "Checkpoint field path" to find the event with the most recent "updated_at" time--and use that as the next checkpoint? Unfortunately there aren't any parameters (per the data source's API documentation) I can use in the REST URL to sort the JSON array.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...