All Apps and Add-ons

How can I throttle the alerts by multiple field?

victorxbox

Dear all,

How can I throttle the alerts by multiple field?
For example, I would like to throttle the alerts if and only if both "src_ip" "dst_IP" "msg" are matched in log1 and log3

log1. src_ip=1.1.1.1 dst_ip=2.2.2.2 msg=attack1
log2. src_ip=1.1.1.1 dst_ip=3.3.3.3 msg=attack1
log3. src_ip=1.1.1.1 dst_ip=2.2.2.2 msg=attack1
log4. src_ip=1.1.1.1 dst_ip=2.2.2.2 msg=attack2

My expected alert results are
alert1. src_ip=1.1.1.1 dst_ip=2.2.2.2 msg=attack1
alert2. src_ip=1.1.1.1 dst_ip=3.3.3.3 msg=attack1
alert3. src_ip=1.1.1.1 dst_ip=2.2.2.2 msg=attack2

BR
Victor

Tags (1)
0 Karma

datorsmurf

What I did to accomplish my variant of the starting question was to output an eval-field from the search that I used as throttle field.

| eval throttleId = a_field_from_the_search + "_" + another_field_in_the_search

Throttle expression was then: throttleId

The eval-field could use just about any logic, the threadstarter would possibly use the replace(X,Y,Z) function to strip out the log number.

0 Karma

markthompson
Builder

Hi Victor,
When you create your alert, you should use an AND operator in your search string, for example I would use an IF statement to set a field, e.g. SendAlert, to a boolean value of 0 or 1, then from the results trigger an alert if SendAlert is equal to 1.

I hope this helps, if not, let me know and I'll come up with something else.

0 Karma

victorxbox

Hello aakwah,

Under "action option" in the alert item, can i put more than one field in "suppress results containing field value"?

BR
Victor

0 Karma

aakwah
Builder

Hello,

Could you please elaborate more, as per my understanding you could make use of logical operator OR as per the following query:

(source=log1 src_ip=1.1.1.1) OR (source=log3 dst_ip="2.2.2.2")

Regards

0 Karma

markthompson
Builder

It would actually be the AND logical operator, as stated in the question, if they both match.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...