All Apps and Add-ons

Clustered Single Value Map Visualization: Browser hangs on the visualization

efullman
Path Finder

Hi,

Great job on this add-on, it is really great!

I've noticed when you use this visualization, especially when you copy a search, or open search from a dashboard that uses the add-on, the clustering of markers is disabled.

So if you have a big search attached, it will hang the browser if you try to open the visualization tab.

I've worked around it by reducing the data to something small like less than a thousand markers, go into the format and click "Disable" to "Enable Clustering", and then "Enable" again. Once you do this it works fine, until you try to copy.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks again. This is a great add-on.

0 Karma

shaskell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue running version 1.3.2 of the app and Splunk 6.4.1. I created a generic search with 251,486 lat/long pairs and saved it as a report. Clustering was enabled by default for me when viewing the report. Here's what the savedsearches.conf looks like.

[test cluster bug]
action.email.useNSSubject = 1
alert.track = 0
dispatch.earliest_time = -1y@y
dispatch.latest_time = @y
display.general.type = visualizations
display.page.search.tab = visualizations
display.statistics.show = 0
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.allPopups = false
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.animate = true
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.cluster = true
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.criticalThreshold = 80
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.defaultHeight = 600
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.fullScreen = false
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.mapCenterZoom = 6
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.mapTile = http://{s}.tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.maxClusterRadius = 80
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.maxZoom = 19
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.minZoom = 1
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.multiplePopups = false
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.rangeOneBgColor = #B5E28C
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.rangeOneFgColor = #6ECC39
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.rangeThreeBgColor = #FD9C73
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.rangeThreeFgColor = #F18017
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.rangeTwoBgColor = #F1D357
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.rangeTwoFgColor = #F0C20C
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.scrollWheelZoom = true
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.singleMarkerMode = false
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.warningThreshold = 55
display.visualizations.custom.type = leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps
display.visualizations.type = custom
request.ui_dispatch_app = chicago_crime
request.ui_dispatch_view = search
search = index=chicago_crime latitude=\* longitude=\* | table latitude, longitude

Is cluster set to false in the savedsearches.conf for your report? If it is, I'm not sure how it got set as the default value for cluster is true.

Did you upgrade the app or is it a fresh install of 1.3.2? If it's an upgrade, I'd remove and re-install the app just to make sure something funky didn't happen during the upgrade process.

0 Karma

efullman
Path Finder

Here is the saved search that resulted in this graph.

[Austin Crime Incidents]
alert.track = 0
cron_schedule = 0 0 * * *
dispatch.earliest_time = -30d@d
dispatch.latest_time = now
display.events.fields = ["location","block","time","longitude","latitude","address","strname","blk","block1","blockhi","street_name"]
display.general.timeRangePicker.show = 0
display.page.search.mode = verbose
display.visualizations.charting.chart = line
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.allPopups = 0
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.animate = 1
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.cluster = 1
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.criticalThreshold = 80
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.fullScreen = 0
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.mapCenterLat = 30.26758286
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.mapCenterLon = -97.73992754
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.mapCenterZoom = 11
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.mapTile = http://{s}.tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.maxClusterRadius = 80
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.multiplePopups = 0
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.rangeOneBgColor = #B5E28C
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.rangeOneFgColor = #6ECC39
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.rangeThreeBgColor = #FD9C73
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.rangeThreeFgColor = #F18017
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.rangeTwoBgColor = #F1D357
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.rangeTwoFgColor = #F0C20C
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.scrollWheelZoom = 1
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.singleMarkerMode = 0
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.warningThreshold = 55
enableSched = 1
request.ui_dispatch_app = search
search = index=socrata-austin-crime 
0 Karma

shaskell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

These lines look suspicious and aren't in my savedsearches.conf. I'm not sure if they make a difference but they probably shouldn't be in there.

display.visualizations.charting.chart = line
display.page.search.mode = verbose

Here's what mine looks like

[cluster bug test 2]
alert.track = 0
cron_schedule = \*/5 \* \* \* \*
dispatch.earliest_time = -1y@y
dispatch.latest_time = @y
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.allPopups = 0
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.animate = 1
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.cluster = 1
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.fullScreen = 0
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.mapCenterLat = 39.50
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.mapCenterLon = -98.35
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.mapCenterZoom = 6
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.multiplePopups = 0
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.scrollWheelZoom = 1
display.visualizations.custom.leaflet_maps_app.leaflet_maps.singleMarkerMode = 0
enableSched = 1
request.ui_dispatch_app = chicago_crime
search = index=chicago_crime latitude=\* longitude=\* | table latitude, longitude
0 Karma

efullman
Path Finder

deleted those with no effect.

0 Karma

efullman
Path Finder

Hey. Sorry, but it still has the same result. I removed the old version at the CLI, and installed 1.3.3, but it still failed on the report.

I tried to get to the "save as" report a few different ways, but got the same result.

Here is the result from a search.
alt text

I saved this as a report. Scheduled it, and let it run.
This is what happens when I display the report, or if I "run" it from the reports listing page.

alt text

0 Karma

shaskell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That's strange. I don't see the same behavior. Did you re-create the saved search and re-schedule it after removing/installing 1.3.3 or is it the original saved search from savedsearches.conf?

0 Karma

shaskell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I've posted an updated version 1.3.3 on Splunkbase. Please give that a try and let me know if it works for you.

0 Karma

shaskell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I was able to replicate the issue and fix the problem. I'll post a new version of the app today. Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I really appreciate it.

0 Karma

efullman
Path Finder

NP. Glad it was fixable.

0 Karma

efullman
Path Finder

To be more precise. I can create the report, and then view it.

At this point, everything is fine.

If I then SCHEDULE (scheduled saved search), that's when it appears the cluster's won't show.

The report runs on the schedule, and then when viewing the scheduled data the map shows with only markers.

0 Karma

shaskell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for clarifying. I'll test this today and see what happens for me.

0 Karma

efullman
Path Finder

Just ran this again and still have a problem.

So the app works fine with creating new searches, cloning searches, and dashboards. However, the clustering fails to work in a report. It defaults to markers.

Is this expected that it can't run in a report?

Below is the section of an advanced edit of the saved search, and here is an image of the result.

alt text

0 Karma

efullman
Path Finder

It turns out it must have been an incomplete update.

I removed and re-installed the add-on, and the defaults were set properly.

Everything works fine now. Thanks for the your suggestion.

0 Karma

shaskell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks. I'll see if I can reproduce the issue and report back soon. I appreciate the feedback.

0 Karma

efullman
Path Finder

The easiest way to recreate would be to create a visualization using the add-on, and then create a report. If it works for you, then I have something wrong with my install. I checked the default savedsearches.conf and it was set to cluster.

0 Karma

efullman
Path Finder

Hi,

If I get it to work, and then create a report, I get the same result.

Thanks again.

0 Karma

efullman
Path Finder

I'm using version 1.3.2

0 Karma

efullman
Path Finder

The visualization itself seems to work great with up to 20,000 points or more. I wouldn't try to run it with the Clustering disabled, but it seems to default to that setting in these cases

0 Karma

efullman
Path Finder

Most of my use-cases have less than 1000 points.

0 Karma

shaskell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm glad you're liking the visualization! Thanks for using it.

Can you tell me what version of the app you're running and how many data points you have?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...