Alerting

Cron Expression: Run every 5 minutes at 3pm every day

demkic
Explorer

Hi, I am struggling to create a cron expression to run my alert every 5 minutes at 3pm every day.

I found the following expression online: 0 0/5 15 * * ? However, Splunk is not accepting this as a valid Cron.
Also, could you please explain the reasoning behind the correct answer? I often struggle with cron expressions ..

Thank you so much.

0 Karma
1 Solution

jcaceres
Explorer

I think you want */5, not 0/5

The example below runs every 5 minutes, every day for 1 hour starting at 3PM
*/5 15 * * *

So the alert would run at:
15:00
15:05
15:10
...etc.

If you want your alert to only run for an hour, 15-16 for example, then it would be:
*/5 15-16 * * *
and would run at:
...etc.

and the last run would be at:
15:55

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

As per your question Run every 5 minutes at 3 pm every day which means it will start at 3 pm and the next day till 3pm..so it is same as running for every 5 minutes every day it does not make any sense. Either your question should be run every day at 3 pm every 5 minutes for a period of an hour or so..or run every 5 minutes every day 0/5 15 * * * does not make any sense to me. as this will run the report at 3 pm, give you a result and stop. In other words, it will run only once.

So if you want your report to run every 5 minutes at 3 pm for entire day till midnight then your cron expression should be

*/5 15-23 * * *

I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

0 Karma

horsefez
Motivator

Hi demkic,

take this cron range.

0/5 15 * * *

so the first 0 means it will start at a full hour... this could also be a *, but we won't get into it.
the /5 says it will run every 5 minutes
the 15 stands to run at 3pm on a 24 hour clock
the * means it will run every day
the * means it will run every month
the *means it will run every day of the week

0 Karma

jcaceres
Explorer

I think you want */5, not 0/5

The example below runs every 5 minutes, every day for 1 hour starting at 3PM
*/5 15 * * *

So the alert would run at:
...etc.

If you want your alert to only run for an hour, 15-16 for example, then it would be:
*/5 15-16 * * *
and would run at:
...etc.

and the last run would be at:
15:55

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...