Alerting

Can you help me figure out why i'm seeing delays between the scheduling and dispatching of my alerts?

damucka
Builder

Hello,

I have a strange situation with the delays in both scheduling and dispatching of my alerts.
They should run each minute, as per cron schedule:

*/1 * * * *

but, when I am checking the schedule and dispatch times I can see that:

1/ The alerts get scheduled each second minute only
2/ There is always a delay between the schedule and dispatch, more less always 2 minutes as well, please see the attached image.

alt text

Could you please advise what's going wrong here?

How would I get my alerts executed each minute and get rid of the additional delay between schedule and dispatch?

I thought that the schedule to dispatch delay could come from the resource bottleneck, but there is none.

Also, the fact that it is always 2 minutes would not fit in the resource bottleneck theory.

Are there any parameters that could cause the above behavior?

Kind Regards,
Kamil

Tags (2)
0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

Hi,

since this sounds like some config is actually telling splunk to wait that 2 minutes you were talking about, I suggest you may

have a look at this :https://answers.splunk.com/answers/550674/splunk-scheduler-how-can-i-reduce-latency-what-can.html

This user is providing knowledge about the schedule_window field for sheduled searches. Might be something you want to check.

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

Any update on this? did you try that?

Please accept the answer if it helped 🙂

0 Karma

damucka
Builder

Hello,

Unfortunately it did not help. The action I took as per the description in link was to grant explicitly the edit_search_schedule_window role to my user in order to get the schedule_window = 0 and not default.
It did not help. I can see all of my and not only my alerts to have a lag of precisely 2 minutes. This is strange, because there are still some other alerts in the system that get dispatched immediately. When I compare the parameters of the both in the system, they seem the same.

1/ my alert with the 2 min lag:

01-23-2019 13:29:15.239 +0100 INFO  SavedSplunker - savedsearch_id="nobody;mlbso;Anomaly Detection", search_type="scheduled", user="CDE", app="mlbso", savedsearch_name="Anomaly Detection", priority=default, status=success, digest_mode=1, scheduled_time=1548246420, window_time=0, dispatch_time=1548246548, run_time=5.707, result_count=0, alert_actions="", sid="scheduler__CDE__mlbso__RMD54eeec7fba2d5a846_at_1548246420_4375", suppressed=0, thread_id="AlertNotifierWorker-0"

2/
other alert, dispatched immediately (without lag):

01-23-2019 12:35:01.097 +0000 INFO  SavedSplunker - savedsearch_id="nobody;ids;sci_prod_us_east http 5xx", search_type="scheduled", user="ABC", app="ids", savedsearch_name="sci_prod_us_east http 5xx", priority=default, status=success, digest_mode=1, scheduled_time=1548246900, window_time=0, dispatch_time=1548246900, run_time=0.235, result_count=0, alert_actions="", sid="scheduler__ABC__ids__RMD5494dd652a11e08f4_at_1548246900_25299", suppressed=0, thread_id="AlertNotifierWorker-0"

Could you advise?
Is there any way to see the detailed scheduler log for this issueing a search in Splunk?
Waht would be the reason to have this kind of lag?

Kind Regards,
Kamil

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

Hi,

there is a scheduler.log in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk ,maybe this could help

0 Karma

damucka
Builder

Hi,
In the scheduler log there is nothing more than the entries as above 1/ and 2/. I am not able to figure out where the lag comes from based on it.
Any further ideas?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...