Training + Certification Discussions

Free training for veterans

jjdecker
Engager

I was told that the first two splunk fundamentals courses were free for veterans, but it looks like those courses are deprecated as of today. Is there still any free training for veterans or has that ship sailed?

0 Karma
1 Solution

amesser
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello!

Thanks for asking—this ship has NOT sailed. Splunk Education is absolutely still dedicated to offering free training to veterans. With the launch of our single-subject courses, veterans will now have access to our Search Expert and Knowledge Manager learning paths  for free (this is MORE free content than they previously received).

The Splunk4Good page has not yet been updated, but please continue to check there for information on registering for the newly-launched single-subject learning paths. We are working with the Splunk4Good team to get the information posted ASAP. Thanks for your patience during this transition.

View solution in original post

amesser
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello!

Thanks for asking—this ship has NOT sailed. Splunk Education is absolutely still dedicated to offering free training to veterans. With the launch of our single-subject courses, veterans will now have access to our Search Expert and Knowledge Manager learning paths  for free (this is MORE free content than they previously received).

The Splunk4Good page has not yet been updated, but please continue to check there for information on registering for the newly-launched single-subject learning paths. We are working with the Splunk4Good team to get the information posted ASAP. Thanks for your patience during this transition.

jjdecker
Engager

Thanks! It looks like I was able to get registered for both fundamentals I and II both, but it seems I have access to all of the courses here:

https://education.splunk.com/single-subject-courses

Are these courses more up to date than the fundamentals I and II courses? Any reason to do one over the other? Reason I ask is because I'm going to be doing the Cisco CBRCOR course and it recommends doing the splunk fundamentals prior to taking that course.

0 Karma

amesser
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi!

Yes—the new single-subject courses are the latest and greatest. For learners who have started their Splunk journey with Fundamentals 1 (or 2 or beyond), there will be some content overlap starting over with single-subject content. 

Net-new learners are encouraged to start with the single-subject format, which is much easier to fit into your schedule (or budget) with the shorter delivery times and lower per-registration cost. There is also MUCH more free content with the new format.

Thanks for the feedback re: Cisco training. We'll work with their EDU team to reference the relevant single-subject courses as recommended prerequisites!

You can always email Education_AMER@splunk.com if you're unsure as to your exact course mapping/next steps. There are people there to help!

Good luck on your training journey 🙂

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Fundamentals 1 course is/was free for everybody. Even if it is deprecated, it's still worth going through if you want to get to know splunk. There's not that much of a difference between Splunk 7 and 8 that would make this course useless. On the contrary - the basics are pretty much the same. Same goes for Fundamentals 2 but I have no idea about any discounts for vets so can't help you there.

0 Karma

amesser
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi! Just to clarify—as of yesterday, the Fundamentals courses are no longer available for registration. So folx who haven't yet registered will be starting their journey with the new single-subject courses.

More information on the new courses and how they are pieced together in learning paths can be found here: https://education.splunk.com/static/resources/Single-Subject-Courses.pdf

Registration is here: https://education.splunk.com/single-subject-courses

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...