Splunk Search

why is Streamstats not working ?

adityaanand
Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to find cumulative sum of unique IPAddress by IsManuallyInstalled monthly. IsManuallyInstalled has two values: true and false. So I want cumulative sum of true and false monthly.
I did it this way:

source="D:\\Splunk Data\\RSD Demo\\*" host="PU4D9W0ND02" index="test" sourcetype="RSD_Log"|spath| rex "IPAddress=\"(?<IPAddress>[^\"]*)\" IsManuallyInstalled=\"(?<IsManuallyInstalled>[^\"]*)\"" | dedup IPAddress sortby -_time |timechart span=1mon count(IPAddress) As "MachineCount" by IsManuallyInstalled |streamstats global=f  sum(MachineCount)

But it is not giving the expected result as I supposed streamstats not working. It is giving the same result if I remove:
|streamstats global=f sum(MachineCount).

Please help how can i achieve this?

Regards,
Aditya

Tags (2)
0 Karma

jacobwilkins
Communicator

It looks like you want a distinct count, the dc() method...

source="D:\\Splunk Data\\RSD Demo\\*" host="PU4D9W0ND02" index="test" sourcetype="RSD_Log" 
|spath 
| rex "IPAddress=\"(?<IPAddress>[^\"]*)\" IsManuallyInstalled=\"(?<IsManuallyInstalled>[^\"]*)\""  
| timechart span=1mon dc(IPAddress) As "MachineCount" by IsManuallyInstalled 

Using dc() lets you get rid of that dedup.

I question the necessity of using both spath and rex, but you know your dataset better than I do.

0 Karma

jacobwilkins
Communicator

Oh, and you were looking for accumulations. Yeah. Listen to jeffland

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I also noticed the count/distinct count issue, but then saw the dedup ahead of it which makes dc redundant.

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This could be done with a simple stats, such as this:

source="D:\\Splunk Data\\RSD Demo\\*" host="PU4D9W0ND02" index="test" sourcetype="RSD_Log"|spath| rex "IPAddress=\"(?<IPAddress>[^\"]*)\" IsManuallyInstalled=\"(?<IsManuallyInstalled>[^\"]*)\"" | dedup IPAddress sortby -_time | stats count by IsManuallyInstalled

If you want these results per month:

source="D:\\Splunk Data\\RSD Demo\\*" host="PU4D9W0ND02" index="test" sourcetype="RSD_Log"|spath| rex "IPAddress=\"(?<IPAddress>[^\"]*)\" IsManuallyInstalled=\"(?<IsManuallyInstalled>[^\"]*)\"" | dedup IPAddress sortby -_time | eval month=strftime(_time, "%B") | stats count by IsManuallyInstalled month

Be careful not to run this search over more than a year, or include the year in strftime as well.

0 Karma

adityaanand
Explorer

It is not giving cumulative sum.
Suppose in April month false count is 3 and in May false count is 6 then
Result should be like this:
April - 3
May - 9

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hm, on second thought: your timechart has a by-clause. That means your columns are titled "true" and "false" (or how the results of IsManuallyInstalled are precisely), and you need to work your streamstats on those titles - i.e.

source="D:\\Splunk Data\\RSD Demo\\*" host="PU4D9W0ND02" index="test" sourcetype="RSD_Log"|spath| rex "IPAddress=\"(?<IPAddress>[^\"]*)\" IsManuallyInstalled=\"(?<IsManuallyInstalled>[^\"]*)\"" | dedup IPAddress sortby -_time |timechart span=1mon count(IPAddress) by IsManuallyInstalled |streamstats sum(true) sum(false)
0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Edit: this is now obsolete.

Ah! I see. Sorry, somehow overlooked the "cumulative" in your question and wondered why you were using streamstats...

In your case, a way to do it would be via accum, something like

source="D:\\Splunk Data\\RSD Demo\\*" host="PU4D9W0ND02" index="test" sourcetype="RSD_Log"|spath| rex "IPAddress=\"(?<IPAddress>[^\"]*)\" IsManuallyInstalled=\"(?<IsManuallyInstalled>[^\"]*)\"" | dedup IPAddress sortby -_time |timechart span=1mon count(IPAddress) As "MachineCount" by IsManuallyInstalled | accum MachineCount as AccumulatedMachineCount
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...