Splunk Search

using a lookup file to populate a search query

vincenp2

I have a lookup table containing a list of building names - which I think may be useful in creating the query I need

Buildings 'call in' on a regular basis - and events are created to show this.
I want to use the lookup table to run a query to show me if any buildings have NOT 'called in' in the past 7 days

so basically I need a query that searches for these 'call in' events from each building, and alert if a building has NOT 'called in' in the past 7 days

I can run a query looking back over the last 7 days
index=xyz | table building_name
which will report out any buildings that have reported in, but I need to know of the buildings that have NOT reported in

How can I create a report that does this, using the existing lookup table I have which contains all building names?

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

maybe something like that:

| inputlookup your_building_lookup.csv | search NOT [search index=xyz building_name=* | dedup building_name | fields building_name]

hope it helps

0 Karma

vincenp2

Hi thanks for replying so quickly - when I run this query it basically produces the whole content of the 'building_names' lookup file (5800 rows) - regardless of the time period I use?

I would expect to see a small number of building names, perhaps just 10 or so

I kinda understand the logic of the query you sent, and would have thought it might just produce a list of those buildings in the lookup table but had not produced any events in the time period queried

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...