Splunk Search

tstats via REST API

ryanstaats

Greetings folks, and thanks in advance for a little brainpower here.  I'm definitely a splunk novice.

I'm trying to pull some tstats values via a REST call via powershell, and I can't seem to return any data.  I can perform a basic search "search hostname=servername.corp" via this method and it will return the results I expect.

The search term that gets me the data I want via the web interface is "|tstats values(host) where index=*" however, performing this search (with various options for " or ' substitution) via a rest call yields nothing.

Thanks in advance for your help.  If you're powershell fluent, I've included my script chunk below, but this shouldn't be just a powershell thing... I'm pretty sure I'm just calling this search the wrong way since, again, I've verified this with a more simple search term.  And yes, the credential is valid.

Spoiler

$SplunkAPI = "https://<MySplunkServer>/services/search/jobs/export"
$Search = 'search "|tstats values(host) where index=* by index"'
$Body = @{
  search = $search
  output_mode = "json"
  earliest_time = "-24h"
  latest_time = "now"
}

Invoke-RestMethod -Method Post -Uri $SplunkAPI -Credential $Cred -Body $Body

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

this seems to works:

curl -ku user:pass https://localhost:8089/services/search/jobs/export -d search="|tstats values(host) where index=*" -d output_mode=json

r. Ismo

splunkreal
Motivator

Hello @isoutamo  does this | tstats command requires to have data access or just internal logs?

Thanks.

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It needs equal access as you have in GUI. If you need to access data then you need access to those indexes and same for internal indexes. 
The only exception is that there are some scheduled reports which have run as owner. Those should work when you have access to those reports. But if those aren’t scheduled then that’s not working.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...