Splunk Search

top command (or count & percent of values) off stats command (summary)

jluste
Path Finder

Using Splunk 5.0.8 SH right now, upgrade to 6 not until June.

I have a dashboard that currently executes 24 searches for a span of 24 hours. Goal: Run one search and post-process the dash panels as everything has one filter search and can be summarized into 7 different fields and value combos. That one search would be saved and accelerated and end in a stats command.

ISSUE: most of my panels are top commands. since I plan to both timechart and top the results, I would be bucketing _time. How can I use the top command to take into account the values from the count field? Example of issue: If I have one stats event with browser=IE and a count of 10 and another stats event with browser=Chrome with a count of 5, a | top browser will show me:
browser count percent
Chrome 1 50%
IE 1 50%

This is not what I need. I need both the sum of count for each value rather than the top command's count of the events. I also need the percent so just doing a sum(count) by browser | sort browser | head 10 doesn't do it.

0 Karma
1 Solution

jluste
Path Finder

So I found my own answer after more Splunk Answers digging: Found here

Basically what I need is this added to get a "top-like result" for summarized data (either from a summary index or post processing from a stats commanded result:

| stats sum(count) as count by browser | eventstats sum(count) as Total | eval percent = round((count/Total)*100,2) . "%" | fields - Total

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am assuming after the stats command, the events are like below

brower count
IE xx
Chrome yy

Then you can do something like this after stats.

...your stats query...| eventstats sum(count) as Total | eval percent=round(count*100/Total,1)."%" | sort -count | streamstats count as sno | where sno < NoOfTopValuesYouWantToSee | fields - Total, sno
0 Karma

jluste
Path Finder

So I found my own answer after more Splunk Answers digging: Found here

Basically what I need is this added to get a "top-like result" for summarized data (either from a summary index or post processing from a stats commanded result:

| stats sum(count) as count by browser | eventstats sum(count) as Total | eval percent = round((count/Total)*100,2) . "%" | fields - Total

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...