Splunk Search

top command (or count & percent of values) off stats command (summary)

jluste
Path Finder

Using Splunk 5.0.8 SH right now, upgrade to 6 not until June.

I have a dashboard that currently executes 24 searches for a span of 24 hours. Goal: Run one search and post-process the dash panels as everything has one filter search and can be summarized into 7 different fields and value combos. That one search would be saved and accelerated and end in a stats command.

ISSUE: most of my panels are top commands. since I plan to both timechart and top the results, I would be bucketing _time. How can I use the top command to take into account the values from the count field? Example of issue: If I have one stats event with browser=IE and a count of 10 and another stats event with browser=Chrome with a count of 5, a | top browser will show me:
browser count percent
Chrome 1 50%
IE 1 50%

This is not what I need. I need both the sum of count for each value rather than the top command's count of the events. I also need the percent so just doing a sum(count) by browser | sort browser | head 10 doesn't do it.

0 Karma
1 Solution

jluste
Path Finder

So I found my own answer after more Splunk Answers digging: Found here

Basically what I need is this added to get a "top-like result" for summarized data (either from a summary index or post processing from a stats commanded result:

| stats sum(count) as count by browser | eventstats sum(count) as Total | eval percent = round((count/Total)*100,2) . "%" | fields - Total

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I am assuming after the stats command, the events are like below

brower count
IE xx
Chrome yy

Then you can do something like this after stats.

...your stats query...| eventstats sum(count) as Total | eval percent=round(count*100/Total,1)."%" | sort -count | streamstats count as sno | where sno < NoOfTopValuesYouWantToSee | fields - Total, sno
0 Karma

jluste
Path Finder

So I found my own answer after more Splunk Answers digging: Found here

Basically what I need is this added to get a "top-like result" for summarized data (either from a summary index or post processing from a stats commanded result:

| stats sum(count) as count by browser | eventstats sum(count) as Total | eval percent = round((count/Total)*100,2) . "%" | fields - Total

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...