Splunk Search

tonumber() not working

jedatt01
Builder

I have an extracted field that is alphanumeric and splunk is interpreting it as a string, obviously. But I am using rtrim to remove the alpha characters and leave only numeric characters. But as I confirmed with if(isstr()) splunk is still interpreting the field as a string. So, I tried to convert to number with tonumber() but results are coming back null. Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Wilcooley
Path Finder

I don't suppose you could give an example of the field? That would help immensely. I'm guessing it's something like "100 kWH"?

Have you confirmed that eval xx=rtrim(Total_Energy,"kWH") results in something that looks like a number? Is there a space in your "kWH" that I can't see and is there a space between the number and the string? A trailing space might make the rtrim output look not like a number and would be hard to see.

rtrim seems kinda like an odd choice, though it seems like it should work. Personally I would have used a regular expression with replace:

replace(Total_Energy, "^(\d+)", "\1")

View solution in original post

Wilcooley
Path Finder

I don't suppose you could give an example of the field? That would help immensely. I'm guessing it's something like "100 kWH"?

Have you confirmed that eval xx=rtrim(Total_Energy,"kWH") results in something that looks like a number? Is there a space in your "kWH" that I can't see and is there a space between the number and the string? A trailing space might make the rtrim output look not like a number and would be hard to see.

rtrim seems kinda like an odd choice, though it seems like it should work. Personally I would have used a regular expression with replace:

replace(Total_Energy, "^(\d+)", "\1")

jedatt01
Builder

That was the problem. I was forgetting about the space before the kWH. this worked correctly
eval xx=rtrim(Total_Energy, " kWH")
Thanks!!

0 Karma

jedatt01
Builder

figured out a workaround from another post that converts my string to a number. Could there be a bug in tonumber()?

eval TE=strptime(rtrim(Total_Energy,"kWH"),"%s")

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...