Splunk Search

timechart overlay multiple strings

sunil_sharma

I want to search 2 strings in log file, like "A string" & "B String", A string should be treated as successful and B as Failure. Next I want to overlay both as line timechart, where successful events should go above x-axis and Failure events go below x-axis or they are showed as different colors.How this can be done?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

SaiSirisha

How can I do a timechart with 2 strings and also give a Alias names to the string . How can span the reults for 1 day within same query?

0 Karma

laserval
Communicator

You should post this as a new question, or a comment, instead of an answer to the top question.

But to answer your answer: You can create an alias (called a search macro in Splunk) for a search string in the GUI under Settings - Advanced Search - Search Macros. To use the macro once it's been created, you have to surround your macro with backticks, like this: myawesomemacro(). The parenthesis are best to include, since there are cases where they are required even if you have no arguments.

As for span, you can use span=1d. Check the timechart search command help and you will find thespan option along with some example usage.

0 Karma

SaiSirisha

Hi,
I knew that I had to post as new question and I even tried but continously gave me form error. That the reason I posted my question as an answer.

Anyways Thank you so much for the reply. it worked.
Sorry for inconvenience caused.

0 Karma

SaiSirisha

Thank you Iguinn,
It almost worked but how do I give alias to search string? My timechart shows Success and failure which I don't wanna show instead I want to give alias to them and also span for a day,Hi Thank you for your answer it almost worked but how do I give alias for search string and search for span of a 1day

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

There are many ways, but this might be easiest.

source=logfilename "A string"
| eval series = "Success"
| append [ search source=logfilename "B string"
     | eval series = "Failure" ]
| timechart count by series
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...