Splunk Search

table command without changing sort order

whrg
Motivator

Hello all,

I would like to use the table command without changing the order of events.

To give an example: When searching for "index=_* earliest=-15m latest=now", the first displayed event has the current time and the last displayed event is 15 minutes in the past. Now when searching for "index=_* earliest=-15m latest=now | table _time,host,index" the events are resorted. _time is no longer descending (or ascending).

I tried "index=_* earliest=-15m latest=now | table _time,host,index | sort 0 -_time". But that does not work 100% because some events have the same timestamp.

So my question is: Can I use the table command (or some other command to form a table based on a given set of columns) without changing the sort oder?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

whrg
Motivator

I noticed that the sort order is kept when using streamstats. This "feature" is undocumented though.

index=_* earliest=-15m latest=now | streamstats count | table _time,host,index

View solution in original post

0 Karma

whrg
Motivator

I noticed that the sort order is kept when using streamstats. This "feature" is undocumented though.

index=_* earliest=-15m latest=now | streamstats count | table _time,host,index

0 Karma

whrg
Motivator

I created a new request on Splunk Ideas for this issue:

https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/EID-I-958

If anyone else feels bothered by this, please upvote the idea.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried fields command

index=_* earliest=-15m latest=now | fields _time,host,index
0 Karma

whrg
Motivator

I tried, but I want the events to be displayed in tabular format.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Displayed in a dashboard? Use the table visualisation panel.

0 Karma

whrg
Motivator

Interestingly enough, the sort order is preserved when doing a dashboard table visualisation with the fields command. However, this approach has two drawbacks:

1) I have to use a seconds fields command to remove the _raw field: | fields - _raw

2) A drilldown (clicking on the magnifying glass below the panel) will not show a table

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, a second fields command is required to remove fields. The magnifying glass is not a drilldown, it opens the query in search (and then you are back to square one).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...