Splunk Search

subsearch or lookup from search results

stephenreece

Morning all,

In short I need to be able to run a CSV lookup search against all my Splunk logs to find all SessionID' s that relate to the unique identifier in my CSV (ID1).....and then use those SessionID's to search again and find a different Unique Identifier (ID2) held in the same logs.

I have no influence in the setup unfortunately... and i need to use the lookup first to isolate the right sessionID's belonging to ID1.

Finding the SessionID's associated with ID1 is fine, but i can't seem to run the search against the session ID's, and table ID2.

(effectively i need to table the results as we needs ID2 for further investigation.

Any thoughts (excuse the poor attempt below).

1st Lookup = * [inputlookup ID1.csv] detail.detail1!="detail1" AND detail.detail2="detail2" AND detail.Body="***" | table date_mday date_month ID1 SessionID

Updated search to include subsearcg (but i don't think it is pulling against the SessionID
* [inputlookup ID1.csv] detail.detail1!="detail1" AND detail.detail2="detail2" AND detail.Body="***" [search * SessionID]
| table date_mday date_month ID1 SessionID

Tags (1)
0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this...

index="foo1"   your other search terms not including sessionID or any time references

[     
    your search that takes the lookup and gets the events with those SessionIDs 
    | fields _time SessionID
    | stats min(_time) as earliest max(_time) as latest by SessionID
    ]

| your search terms that process the events returned. 

The search in square braces will equate to a complex test that looks like ....

(  ( SessionId="value1" AND earliest="lowtime1" AND latest="hightime1" ) OR
    ( SessionId="value2" AND earliest="lowtime2" AND latest="hightime2" ) OR
    ( SessionId="value3" AND earliest="lowtime3" AND latest="hightime3" ) OR
...  )
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Ingest Actions: Filter, Mask, Route, Repeat

WATCH NOW Ingest Actions (IA) is the best new way to easily filter, mask and route your data in Splunk® ...

Splunk Forwarders and Forced Time Based Load Balancing

Splunk customers use universal forwarders to collect and send data to Splunk. A universal forwarder can send ...

NEW! Log Views in Splunk Observability Dashboards Gives Context From a Single Page

Today, Splunk Observability releases log views, a new feature for users to add their logs data from Splunk Log ...