Splunk Search

struggle with RegEx field extraction on a Windows Event log

feichinger
Explorer

Hey - I'm taking my first steps on extracting fields with RegEx and can't seem to get this one working .. any help would be appriciated

The events look like this:

12/10/2019 07:40:23 AM
LogName=ARAdminService
SourceName=ARAdminSvc
EventCode=1521
EventType=4
Type=Information
ComputerName=wmidcars73.idexcorpnet.com
User=NOT_TRANSLATED
Sid=S-1-5-21-2094280246-649338158-1033845588-46148
SidType=0
TaskCategory=ScheduledTask
OpCode=Info
RecordNumber=11331718
Keywords=Classic
Message=Scheduled task has reported an event. 

Task ID: 089546a0-3a4b-4b66-9e4e-43bc9a1f48a6 

Object name: Exo-Process-Changes 

Start date: 12/10/2019 

Start time: 7:40:00 AM 

Script module: Exo-Process-Changes 

Task execution was completed

And want to get that very last line, and put it in a "task_status" field.
This is my RegEx (well.. one of 20 I tried)

Script module: .*[\n\s\r]*(?<task_status>[^\n\r]*)

So I'm basically looking for that "Script module:" line, and want to take the next line that comes after the line breaks and white spaces.
I used a similar, yet more complex RegEx to extract multiple fields from a different event log, and that worked fine. So I don't get what's wrong with this one.

Just using the field extractor wizard would be great, too, but it seems that my events are longer (line count) than the field extractor can work with.

Thanks in advance

0 Karma
1 Solution

wenthold
Communicator

If you use the Message field I believe the linefeeds will be removed, but just case you can insert the multiline regex modifier (?m) at the beginning of your rex extraction. Try this:

rex field=Message "(?m)Script module:\s*[^\s]+\s*(?<status>.*)"

View solution in original post

jpolvino
Builder

If I understand correctly, you want to capture both the text after the Script Module, and the text line after that. Here is one way to do it:

(your search)
| rex "Script module: (?<scriptModule>.*)\W\W\W\s(?<lastLine>[\W\w]+)$"

Here is the regex101: https://regex101.com/r/YpqNbx/1

feichinger
Explorer

thank you - I was not looking for the script module line, but it works as you specify and I'll keep that in my notes

wenthold
Communicator

If you use the Message field I believe the linefeeds will be removed, but just case you can insert the multiline regex modifier (?m) at the beginning of your rex extraction. Try this:

rex field=Message "(?m)Script module:\s*[^\s]+\s*(?<status>.*)"

feichinger
Explorer

thanks - that works

0 Karma

feichinger
Explorer

testing back and forth and the (?m) does not seem to be required - but with or without, your rex works

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...