Splunk Search

streamstats sum() by not functioning as expected

brettw10
Explorer

Hi,

I have the following search, which is attempting to add up the number of dropped and processed syslog messages in each event, based on the field syslog_dest_host:

sourcetype="syslog-stats" | streamstats window=1 sum(syslog_dropped) as Dest_Syslog_Dropped, sum(syslog_processed) as Dest_Syslog_Processed by syslog_dest_host | table _time, host, syslog_dest_host, syslog_dropped, Dest_Syslog_Dropped, syslog_processed, Dest_Syslog_Processed

When this is run, however, I see that the sum is being taken over all values of syslog_dest_host in the event, rather than one sum per syslog_dest_host, eg:

host    syslog_dest_host    syslog_dropped    Dest_Syslog_Dropped    ...
host1   dest1               1                 12
        dest2               1
        dest2               3
        dest1               4
        dest1               2
        dest2               1

However, what I would like to see is:

host    syslog_dest_host    syslog_dropped    Dest_Syslog_Dropped    ...
host1   dest1               1                 7
        dest2               1                 5
        dest2               3
        dest1               4
        dest1               2
        dest2               1

Is what I want even possible?

If not, is there a way to filter within the event, such that only the instances of syslog_dest_host and syslog_dropped are returned when syslog_dest_host=host1? I tried adding this to the search string "sourcetype=syslog-stats syslog_dest_host=host1", but because host1 appears somewhere in the event, the entire event is returned.

Rgds,
Brett.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I would get out of multivalue-land for this, even if you go back into multivalue fields at the end.

For example:

sourcetype="syslog-stats" | mvexpand syslog_dest_host | streamstats window=1 sum(syslog_dropped) as Dest_Syslog_Dropped, sum(syslog_processed) as Dest_Syslog_Processed by syslog_dest_host | table _time, host, syslog_dest_host, syslog_dropped, Dest_Syslog_Dropped, syslog_processed, Dest_Syslog_Processed

If you need to fold it back up the way it was at the end, then do this:

sourcetype="syslog-stats" | streamstats count as rowId | mvexpand syslog_dest_host | streamstats window=1 sum(syslog_dropped) as Dest_Syslog_Dropped, sum(syslog_processed) as Dest_Syslog_Processed by syslog_dest_host | table _time, host, syslog_dest_host, syslog_dropped, Dest_Syslog_Dropped, syslog_processed, Dest_Syslog_Processed | stats values(*) as * by rowId
0 Karma

eashwar
Communicator

Hello bro,
try the below search.

sourcetype="syslog-stats" | streamstats window=1 global=false sum(syslog_dropped) as Dest_Syslog_Dropped, sum(syslog_processed) as Dest_Syslog_Processed by syslog_dest_host | table _time, host, syslog_dest_host, syslog_dropped, Dest_Syslog_Dropped, syslog_processed, Dest_Syslog_Processed

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...