Splunk Search

stat aggregate?

rguntupalli8

log1:1min:1;5min:1;60min:1;24min:1

log2:1min:1;5min:1;60min:1;24min:1

Total: 1min:2;5min:2;60min:2;24min:2

How to compute the Total line from the above two log lines? Confused which Aggregate function I need use as the sum-aggregation span across log statements, not with-in single log statement. Any Help is appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

If you get the values extracted in fields this should be very easy to accomplish using the stats command. For instance, to get the total of fields called 1min, 5min, 60min and 24min:

... | stats sum(1min),sum(5min),sum(60min),sum(24min)

...or just

... | stats sum(*min)

Ayn
Legend

No, your regex is likely not matching. You should try out your regex in the interactive field extractor in Splunk, or on some external regex checker tool such as regexpal.com.

0 Karma

rguntupalli8

Hi Ayn,

Trying to add field extract to solve the above problem.
1min=1;5min=1;60min=1;24hr=1
In Add new field extraction screen entered below regex. Is this OK?
1min (?<1min_val>\d+);
After adding the above I have used the below which didn't give me any results.
index=main sourcetype="splunk-too_small" | stats sum(1min_val)
Please help on this.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

No, the field argument for rex refers to what field it should read FROM (default is _raw), not what field it should write. You need to read up on the syntax.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Eval

As for the stats command, I'm not sure what you want to achieve when splitting by _time. If you want to create a timechart, have a look at the timechart command instead.

0 Karma

rguntupalli8

Hi Ayn,

Does something like below work? - Without Field extractions?
Can we use extract(1min) or rex as below?
ProcessService | rex field=1min (?\w+);field=5min (?\w+);field=60min (?\w+);field=24hr (?\w+); | stats
sum(oneval),sum(fiveval),sum(sixtyval),sum(tfval) by _time

0 Karma

rguntupalli8

Hi Ayn, Thanks for the response.
Not yet extracted into fields.
Currently I am writing a program which log these statements.
* I am trying to find out the best log format for Splunk to do this aggregation.
* Once written the best stat-aggregate function to get the Total line.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Do you have these values extracted into fields?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...