Splunk Search

show proper rate of a continually increasing value

dominiquevocat
Motivator

I have a script which collects the ldap stats of a series of ldap hosts and forward the values to splunk.

Now naturally the vaules are increasing - i would want to chart the delta values in a timechart.

How do i go about to achieve this?

I tried something like " | delta simpleAuthBinds AS deltaSimpleAuthBinds | search deltaSimpleAuthBinds>0 | timechart min(deltaSimpleAuthBinds) by dsaName " with min max etc but i only want the value in deltaSimpleAuthBinds (supposing i use "delta" correctly).

Tags (3)
1 Solution

dominiquevocat
Motivator

Ok, i ended up defining a macro "plotseries(2)"

Macro:
sort $arg1$ | reverse | autoregress $arg1$ as $arg1$ | autoregress $arg2$ as _$arg2$ P=1 | eval delta=($arg2$-$arg2$) | eval delta = if($arg1$ == _$arg1$, delta, null()) | timechart max(delta) by $arg1$ span=5m

so i would do something like
host="172.29.200.15" "[STATS]" | plotseries(dsaName,wholeSubtreeSearchOps)

the first Argument is for the serialization and servers also in the chart, the second is the metric i want to plot.

hope this helps someone - also open for improvement.

View solution in original post

dominiquevocat
Motivator

Ok, i ended up defining a macro "plotseries(2)"

Macro:
sort $arg1$ | reverse | autoregress $arg1$ as $arg1$ | autoregress $arg2$ as _$arg2$ P=1 | eval delta=($arg2$-$arg2$) | eval delta = if($arg1$ == _$arg1$, delta, null()) | timechart max(delta) by $arg1$ span=5m

so i would do something like
host="172.29.200.15" "[STATS]" | plotseries(dsaName,wholeSubtreeSearchOps)

the first Argument is for the serialization and servers also in the chart, the second is the metric i want to plot.

hope this helps someone - also open for improvement.

bmacias84
Champion

I posted this a while a go looking for input. My method uses the autoregress funtion and I'd be happy to walk you through it.

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/55484/line-chart-cumulative-counters-by-host

bmacias84
Champion

@dominiquevocat, I normal give a sample table output of the data include 10-15 rows

0 Karma

dominiquevocat
Motivator

@bmacias84: right now i use a area chart in stacked mode. The hickup came from a spike in one of the areas resulting in white space in the stacked chart :-). I think it would be sufficient to sort the sources by their relative volume. I currently do a one week overview of the load of the ldap servers. It is mostly to get the hang of it.

As for values, can i send them to you somehow?

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

@dominiquevocat, So what kinda of chart are you trying to build (stacked bar or line), what field to do you intend to group by, is this a real-time dashboard (using post-process changes the search a little), one time report, or ad-hoc search? Can you provide a few lines of the _raw? I'd be happy to try and help if I can. Cheers

0 Karma

dominiquevocat
Motivator

um, it looks quite odd... the chart kinda breaks 🙂 in stacked mode. Will have to play with it a little and lets the data flow.

0 Karma

dominiquevocat
Motivator

yes, it is essentially a table of cumulative counters (all the various stats elements just count up and i gather them to chart and report and alert in splunk)
would love to see your example.

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

So are you dealing with an cumulative counter? If so I may have an example for you.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...