Splunk Search

search query stats multiple counts filteration

yasit
Explorer

i have a query where i am looking for multiple values with OR and then counting the occurrence with the stats the query is something like this 

index=****  ("value1") OR ("Value3") OR ...  |  stats count(eval(searchmatch("vlaue1"))) as value1,  count(eval(searchmatch("vlaue2"))) as value2 

now I just want to collect only those values which are found which mean there count is greater than 0. How can I achieve this where only stats of the values are displayed which are found in the events

also search values are mostly ips, URLs , domains, etc
Note: I'm making this query for dashboard

Labels (7)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk (and most data query languages) treat columns as solemn.  But for display purposes, you can fool the system by converting columns to rows and take out those you don't want.  Of course we are talking about transpose.

| transpose 0
| search "row 1" > 0
| transpose 0 header_field=column
| fields - column

To demonstrate, run this search

index=_internal sourcetype!=splunkd_ui_access json OR python OR foobar
| stats count(eval(searchmatch("json"))) as json count(eval(searchmatch("python"))) as python count(eval(searchmatch("foobar"))) as foobar
``` data emulation above ```

It gives 0 for foobar.  

jsonpythonfoobar

But this search

index=_internal sourcetype!=splunkd_ui_access earliest=-5h json OR python OR foobar
| stats count(eval(searchmatch("json"))) as json count(eval(searchmatch("python"))) as python count(eval(searchmatch("foobar"))) as foobar
``` data simulation above ```
| transpose 0
| search "row 1" > 0
| fields - column

eliminates foobar from table

jsonpython

(The numbers changed because this is a live splunkd.)

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk (and most data query languages) treat columns as solemn.  But for display purposes, you can fool the system by converting columns to rows and take out those you don't want.  Of course we are talking about transpose.

| transpose 0
| search "row 1" > 0
| fields - column

To demonstrate, run this search

index=_internal sourcetype!=splunkd_ui_access json OR python OR foobar
``` data emulation above ```

It gives 0 for foobar.  

jsonpythonfoobar

But this search

index=_internal sourcetype!=splunkd_ui_access earliest=-5h json OR python OR foobar
``` data simulation above ```
| transpose 0
| search "row 1" > 0
| fields - column

eliminates foobar from table

jsonpython

(The numbers changed because this is a live splunkd.)

Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your question is a bit vague so I'm not sure what you want so please be a little more descriptive. But from what you wrote I assume that you do some comditional aggregation and want to "go back" to raw events fulfilling your conditions. You can't do that this way.

Splunk "loses" all information not being explicitly passed from the command. So when you're doing the stats command only results of the stats command are available for further processing - the original events are no longer known in your pipeline.

So you have to approach it differently. Probably adding some artificial "classifier" field or two but can't really say without knowing what exactly you want to achieve.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...