Splunk Search

[search] Total Login Failures along with Failures per user

neerajs_81
Builder

Hi All,
Can someone help to build a search to check for Total_login_Failures  > 10 (per 24H) OR  Number of Failures per user > 5?  Both conditions need to be in same search and an alert will fire with either one is met.
My search so far 

( index = index1 "Failed password") earliest=-1d
| eventstats count as Per_User_failures by user
| stats latest(_time) as _time, values(host), values(dest_ip), values(src_ip), dc(src_ip) as srcIpCount, values(user), dc(user) as userCount, count as Total_failures by src_ip dest
| rename values(*) as *
| where Total_failures>=10 AND Per_user_Failures>5

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're right.  The Per_User_failures field is stripped out by the stats command.  I revised my answer to include it.

One thing the query does handle ATM is the test where Per_User_failures > 5.  The current where command does not work with multi-value fields.  We can use mvfilter() to test Per_User_failures, but there is no link to the user with those failures so we won't know who is responsible.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It would help if we knew how the query fails to meet expectations.  As a start, I offer this revision that should better meet the stated requirements.

( index = index1 "Failed password") earliest=-24h
| eventstats count as Per_User_failures by user
| stats latest(_time) as _time, values(host), values(dest_ip), values(src_ip), dc(src_ip) as srcIpCount, list(user), dc(user) as userCount, list(Per_User_failures) as Per_User_failures count as Total_failures by src_ip dest
| rename values(*) as *
| where Total_failures>10 OR Per_user_Failures>5

If the "Failed password" string is in a specific field then that field should be specified to improve search performance.

---
0 Karma

neerajs_81
Builder

Thank you for responding. Yes "Failed Password" is a specific string in the log files.

The "Per_user_Failures" in the above search is not showing any value. I am assuming that is because this was used in EventStats command which further piped to stats command. So this field was lost.

I ran the search you suggested,  here is what i am getting in the output table in some cases . Note:  I am just copying the last 5 columns of my search results.  Notice the Total_failures is count of total failures inclusive of all users.    Is there any way to make it display the failures per user level  as well ? I want to see how many failures did John have, how many did Steve have etc.    Can we have an additional field that also keeps track of failuers per user level ? 

I have a hard condition that i need to group it by "src_ip" and "dest"

src_ipsrcIPCountuseruserCountTotal_failures
x.x.x.x1John S
Steve S
Ashley

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're right.  The Per_User_failures field is stripped out by the stats command.  I revised my answer to include it.

One thing the query does handle ATM is the test where Per_User_failures > 5.  The current where command does not work with multi-value fields.  We can use mvfilter() to test Per_User_failures, but there is no link to the user with those failures so we won't know who is responsible.

---

neerajs_81
Builder

Thank you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...