Splunk Search

rt_md realtime searches?

arpit_arora
Explorer

Hello, does anyone what generates realtime searches whose search_id starts with "rt_md"?

I rarely run real time searches but if I look at audit.log, I see a bunch of searches under my username for which is_realtime field is set to 1. Also their search_ids begin with "rt_md".

However if I do run a real time search and look for it's search_id, it starts only with "rt_".

So what are these searches which I never ran but show up as realtime and their search_ids start with "rt_md"?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

aklgo

Hi Arpit. I have been trying to answer the same question and may have an answer for you.

Unfortunately this naming convention is not documented under Dispatch directory and search artifacts:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/7.0.0/Search/Dispatchdirectoryandsearchartifacts

However, I found some information on the real-time metadata search in this post. Its a query that is embedded in the search app page which automatically retrieves a user's data:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/171350/how-to-disable-real-time-searches-that-run-when-lo.html

I hope this helps!!

0 Karma

arpit_arora
Explorer

For example, here's a search_id and related search string.

'rt_md_1518568804.651085_0B533784-8A3E-4E74-B06C-8A3951E1D576'
'| metadata type=sourcetypes | search totalCount > 0'

I think "rt_md" stands for real time meta data search.

What is the nature of such searches?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...