Splunk Search

return a result from fields based on 2 queries

gregwilliams
Path Finder

I'm trying to return a field based upon a search and within that search extract a variable to search for in another search. For example, I would like to get the username of the person who is authenticated on a computer in which an alert was triggered. The IDS events come in, which display a destination IP address then I want to search for that IP address in the authentication logs, then return the username within the authentication log. Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tysonstewart
Path Finder

Seems like a subsearch case.

logger=Authentication [search IDS | fields IP]

Or something similar. You can use the format command to determine how you want the subsearch to concatenate its results for the main search.

Update, using a map command:

first search | map search="search \"User Authentication\" IP=$dest_IP$" | fields username

View solution in original post

tysonstewart
Path Finder

Seems like a subsearch case.

logger=Authentication [search IDS | fields IP]

Or something similar. You can use the format command to determine how you want the subsearch to concatenate its results for the main search.

Update, using a map command:

first search | map search="search \"User Authentication\" IP=$dest_IP$" | fields username

tysonstewart
Path Finder

Yeah, I noticed that the splunkbase comment stripped the backslashes off those inner quotation marks. I'll update the original answer. Glad you got it working. 🙂

Oh, if you schedule that search, you'll need to save the map's search off as its own saved search (see http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/27658/map-command-breaks-when-scheduled).

0 Karma

gregwilliams
Path Finder

Works with a little tweaking. I couldn't include the quotes into the mapped search, but I substituted that with the event ID of the authenticaiton string. Works great!

"first search string" | map search="search xxxxxx IP=$dest_ip$" | fields username

0 Karma

tysonstewart
Path Finder

Oh, nice. You might be able to use a transaction to do that, depending on how many other events you expect to have with that IP.

I'm going to guess you'll want to do this for more than one IP address, so it's probably better to go the map route:

| map search="\"User Authentication\" IP=$dest_IP$" | fields username

You can replace that "User Authentication" bit with whatever search will identify those types of events. The magic in map is the $variable$ part.

Let me know if this works and I'll update the answer.

0 Karma

gregwilliams
Path Finder

I get a "Encoutered an enexpected error while parsing intentions." error. Here are the 2 logs I want to correlate:

mm/dd-xx:xx:xx.xxxxx ET TROJAN From CnC [**] [Classification: A Network Trojan was detected] [Priority: 1] {TCP} xx.xx.xx.xx:xxxxx -> yy.yy.yy.yy:yyyy

yy.yy.yy.yy is recognized as the dest_ip as a field

and I want to correlate with this log:

User Authentication Successful: username=zzzzzzz IP=yy.yy.yy.yy

I want to correlate dest_ip and IP and return the username

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...