Splunk Search

replace one backslash by double backslash

ryastrebov
Communicator

Hello!
I need to provide search only in earliest source in my sourcetype.
I use this search request for this purposes:
sourcetype="mysourcetype" | stats earliest(source) as firstsource | search source=firstsource
But I get error "No results found".
I found that the firstsource of returns in the form of D:\MyFolder\Mysourcename.gz while for a successful search must have a value as D:\\MyFolder\\Mysourcename.gz
How can I replace \ to \\?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion
sourcetype="mysourcetype" | stats earliest(source) as firstsource | rex field=firstsource mode=sed "s/\\/\\\\/g" | search source=firstsource

I think this will work. Note that you'll probably need to escape the backslashes within the rex statement, like above.

UPDATE:

There seems to some issues with backslashes and sed, apparently. Perhaps this can give some guidance.

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/24026/sedcmd-special-requirement-for-backslash

/K

View solution in original post

manan_amin
Explorer

eval new_path = replace( old_path ,"(\\\\)","\\\\\1")

0 Karma

cphair
Builder

There's something wacky about how the Splunk regex parser interprets backslashes. As a rule of thumb, to match a literal backslash you need one more than you think you do. This should work:

rex mode=sed field=foo "s/(\\\)/\1\1/g"

splunkreal
Motivator

Hello, I tried adding this in CLI search job script using curl and getting no result, any idea? Thanks 🙂

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma

splunkreal
Motivator
SOLVED : needed to escape again : "s/(\\\\\)/\1\1/g"
* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion
sourcetype="mysourcetype" | stats earliest(source) as firstsource | rex field=firstsource mode=sed "s/\\/\\\\/g" | search source=firstsource

I think this will work. Note that you'll probably need to escape the backslashes within the rex statement, like above.

UPDATE:

There seems to some issues with backslashes and sed, apparently. Perhaps this can give some guidance.

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/24026/sedcmd-special-requirement-for-backslash

/K

ryastrebov
Communicator

I get error "Error in 'rex' command: Failed to initialize sed. Failed to parse the regex to replace."

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...