Splunk Search

rename & replace

Lynda_Sadi1275
Path Finder

Hello,

I'm new with SPL and Splunk, I have a folder that has 3 files, in the first file I have a column called Vblock, in the other two is called vCenter. I want to rename vCenter by Vblock in both files and then I want to replace the Vblock values as follows: when I have Vbc1 I replace it with Vblock1, when I have Vbc2 I replace it with Vblock 2, as I can do that?
I made this request |rename vCenter as Vblock |replace "vbc1" with "Vblock1", "vbc2" with "Vblock2" in Vblock but they do not replace the values of Vblock or I may not know how to check.

Thanks for your help.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The rename command changes the field name whereas replace changes the field value so you have that part right. You just need some wildcards:

|rename vCenter as Vblock |replace "*vbc1*" with "*Vblock1*", "*vbc2*" with "*Vblock2*" in Vblock
0 Karma

Lynda_Sadi1275
Path Finder

what is the role of the order coalesce

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

You can do something like below,

| eval newfield=colesce(Vblock,vCenter)
| eval newfield=Case(newfield="Vbc1","vblock1",newfield="vbc2","vblock2")
————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma

Lynda_Sadi1275
Path Finder

What does the coalesce command mean in this Splunk search?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...