Splunk Search

rename EventCodes

smudge797
Path Finder

Is there a way to rename EventCodes xxxx field to "description" in timechart? Here is a sample search:

Account_Name=* (EventCode=4800 OR EventCode=4801 OR EventCode=4768) index=blah sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" source="WinEventLog:Security" | timechart count by EventCode

Thanks!

0 Karma

chimell
Motivator

hi smudge797
you say that my answer is good . Now vote it .

0 Karma

DMohn
Motivator

You should use a csv-Lookup here...

Just follow these steps:

1. Create a csv-file containing the EventCodes and the Description you could use this site as a reference for the csv: https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/securitylog/encyclopedia/default.aspx
  2. Upload the csv-file to Splunk via Settings -> Lookups -> Lookup Table files -> New
  3. optional: Create a lookup-Definition and a automatic lookup for your sourcetype (reference here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Knowledge/Addfieldsfromexternaldatasources)
  4. Use the lookup to add the additional knowledge data

Assuming your csv has the name winevents.csv and has this structure:

EventCode,Description
 513,Windows is shutting down
 514,An authentication package has been loaded by the Local Security Authority

this would be your search:

Account_Name=* (EventCode=4800 OR EventCode=4801 OR EventCode=4768) index=blah sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" source="WinEventLog:Security" | lookup winevents.csv EventCode OUTPUT Description | timechart count by Description
0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

hi I am following the guideline but i am facing the error: Could not find all of the specified lookup fields in the lookup table" Please advise

0 Karma

alemarzu
Motivator

Hi smudge,

Did you try CSV lookups ? Check this out

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.1/Knowledge/Addfieldsfromexternaldatasources#CSV_loo...

Hope it helps!

0 Karma

fdi01
Motivator

you can use replace command to do it .

try like this:

... | replace 4800 with "The workstation was locked" in EventCode| replace 4801 with "The workstation was unlocked" in EventCode|.....

chimell
Motivator

Hi
I rectified use case statement and retry

Account_Name=* (EventCode=4800 OR EventCode=4801 OR EventCode=4768) index=blah sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" source="WinEventLog:Security"|eval description=case(EventCode=="4768","A Kerberos authentication ticket (TGT) was requested and User Logged in", EventCode=="4800" , "The workstation was locked" , EventCode=="4801" , "The workstation was unlocked") | timechart count by description
0 Karma

smudge797
Path Finder

Thanks but i need the description to be something like:
4768 A Kerberos authentication ticket (TGT) was requested
4800 The workstation was locked
4801 The workstation was unlocked
4768 User Logged in

Rather than just listing the event codes.

0 Karma

chimell
Motivator

just retry my new search code above

0 Karma

smudge797
Path Finder

This worked from Chimell. Thanks

Account_Name=* (EventCode=4800 OR EventCode=4801 OR EventCode=4768) index=blah sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" source="WinEventLog:Security"|eval description=case(EventCode=="4768","A Kerberos authentication ticket (TGT) was requested and User Logged in", EventCode=="4800" , "The workstation was locked" , EventCode=="4801" , "The workstation was unlocked") | timechart count by description

fdi01
Motivator

go accept and upvote answer of Mm chimell if you agree Mm smudge797
thanks.

0 Karma

smudge797
Path Finder

Nice! Thanks

0 Karma

chimell
Motivator

where are the query that you propose ?

0 Karma

fdi01
Motivator

i ok with Mm chimell where is your answer Mm smudge797
post your answer because it can help somebody
thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...