Splunk Search

regex stops at first match

mmdacutanan
Explorer

I've got a regex that seems to stop at first occurence per line. I am using the 'field extraction' function.
My regexes are:
("(?P\w{1,3}),\d{8},\d{6}.?")+
("((\w+)?,){4}(?P\w),.
?")+

Sample data:
["PE,20140512,234402,,X,0.00,0,0", "PE,20140512,234402,W4325,H,0.00,0,0"]

Actual results:
First regex captures first match which is 'PE' . I see count of one in field discover.
Second regex captures first match which is 'X'. I see a count of one in field discovery.

Expected:
Capture PE and show count of 2.
Caputre X and show count of 1.
Capture H and show count of 1.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Move your extraction to transforms.conf, set MV_ADD = true, refer to the stanza in props.conf with REPORT-foo - see http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.1/Admin/transformsconf for reference.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

After defining the field transforms you need to reference it in a field extraction, select "uses transforms" instead of the "inline" setting you've been using so far.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.1/Knowledge/Managesearch-timefieldextractions#Type_c...

0 Karma

mmdacutanan
Explorer

hi Martin! thank you for the suggestion. I can only access splunk thru splunk web. I do see a field transformation page there. I have never used this before (i have only used field extraction so far) and I am sort of learning on my own. So after I define the new transform, how do I access it exactly when I run my query/search?
Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...