Splunk Search

regex question

splunk_novice99
Explorer

Hello Experts,

I'm trying to work out how to strip down a field 

field="blah_6chars_blah_blah"

the 6chars is what I want to extract and the 6 chars are always prefixed with 999.
the 6 chars prefixed with 999 might be in a different place in the field.  i.e.  blah_blah_6chars_blah

6chars example value=999aaa

so the regex should find  all occurences of 999 in the field and extract the 999 and the next 3 chars and create an additional field with the result

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

you could try this

| rex field=field "(?<foo>999[a-zA-Z0-9]{3})_*"

Then you have this in field foo. You should change [a-ZA-Z0-9] if those 3 characters could be something else than those.

r. Ismo 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need to be precise in data description.  I assume that the six characters starting with 999 are bounded by underscore (_), beginning of the string, or end of the string.  Something like the following would do

| rex field=field "^([^_]+_)*(?<six_char>999.{3})(_[^_]+)*$"

Here is an emulation you can play with and compare with real data.

| makeresults
| fields - _time
| eval field=mvappend("blah_999ars_blah_blah", "blah_blah_999cha_blah", "9996ch_blah_blah_blah", "blah_blah_blah_999har")
| mvexpand field
``` data emulation above ```
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

you could try this

| rex field=field "(?<foo>999[a-zA-Z0-9]{3})_*"

Then you have this in field foo. You should change [a-ZA-Z0-9] if those 3 characters could be something else than those.

r. Ismo 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...