Splunk Search

regex question

splunk_novice99
Explorer

Hello Experts,

I'm trying to work out how to strip down a field 

field="blah_6chars_blah_blah"

the 6chars is what I want to extract and the 6 chars are always prefixed with 999.
the 6 chars prefixed with 999 might be in a different place in the field.  i.e.  blah_blah_6chars_blah

6chars example value=999aaa

so the regex should find  all occurences of 999 in the field and extract the 999 and the next 3 chars and create an additional field with the result

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

you could try this

| rex field=field "(?<foo>999[a-zA-Z0-9]{3})_*"

Then you have this in field foo. You should change [a-ZA-Z0-9] if those 3 characters could be something else than those.

r. Ismo 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need to be precise in data description.  I assume that the six characters starting with 999 are bounded by underscore (_), beginning of the string, or end of the string.  Something like the following would do

| rex field=field "^([^_]+_)*(?<six_char>999.{3})(_[^_]+)*$"

Here is an emulation you can play with and compare with real data.

| makeresults
| fields - _time
| eval field=mvappend("blah_999ars_blah_blah", "blah_blah_999cha_blah", "9996ch_blah_blah_blah", "blah_blah_blah_999har")
| mvexpand field
``` data emulation above ```
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

you could try this

| rex field=field "(?<foo>999[a-zA-Z0-9]{3})_*"

Then you have this in field foo. You should change [a-ZA-Z0-9] if those 3 characters could be something else than those.

r. Ismo 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...