Splunk Search

"Event Action" button not displayed for some users

robgarner
Path Finder

I use Splunk as an admin and most of my users are power users. Following a syntactically valid search, a list of matching events is available to the user (so far, so normal). When an event is expanded, there is an 'Event Actions' button that allows users to, among other things, view the raw event.

Some of my users report that they don't have this button.

Because we have a Gordian knot of LDAP and AD authentication mechanisms, overlapping and inherited roles, and opaque role-index mappings, i can't easily figure out what makes those particular users different from the rest.

Question: Is it possible to construct a role that prevents the "Event Actions" button from being displayed ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

robgarner
Path Finder

I failed to be explicit in my question: I was trying to determine if it was possible for some previous admin to have modified a role to selectively revoke or hide the "event actions" button (as opposed to asking how I would accomplish such a thing myself).

In the end, it was a PEBKAC problem - the user had forgotten where the UI the button was located. Panic can make all kinds of familiar things feel alien.

Thanks for the comment about constructing roles, though !
-Rob

View solution in original post

0 Karma

robgarner
Path Finder

I failed to be explicit in my question: I was trying to determine if it was possible for some previous admin to have modified a role to selectively revoke or hide the "event actions" button (as opposed to asking how I would accomplish such a thing myself).

In the end, it was a PEBKAC problem - the user had forgotten where the UI the button was located. Panic can make all kinds of familiar things feel alien.

Thanks for the comment about constructing roles, though !
-Rob

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

And maybe also this can be the reason why you see it some times and some other time not. It depends which kind of time frame you are using on your search. If you are using real-time search then this button isn't there, but all other cases it is.

--
Ismo

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

No. Permissions Inherited from roles CANNOT be dis-inherited. You will need to create find the permission that enables this, create a role that has ONLY this permission, remove this permission from all other roles, then selectively add the new role to the users/roles that should have it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...