Splunk Search

question about predict

kiamco
Path Finder

so I have this query that detects anomalies in the errors from a specific source based on the mean absolute value of the residual around the median. but my question is does the predict command and the algorithm that I used accounts for the fluctuations of event counts over the weekend the weekends. because with less users using the product over the weekend hence less errors.
index=summary source=some index
orig_source=some source
ms_level=ERROR OR ms_level=error
NOT event=no-event
| sort -_time
| predict count as prediction algorithm=LLP future_timespan=200 holdback=0
| eval prediction=round(prediction,0)
| eval residual= count - prediction
| streamstats window=400 current=true median(residual) as median
| eval abs_dev=(abs(residual- median ))
| streamstats window=400 current=true median(abs_dev) as median_abs_dev
| eval upper_bound=(median + median_abs_dev * 30)
| eval lower_bound=(median - median_abs_dev * 30)
| eval outlier=if(residual > upper_bound OR residual < lower_bound,1,0)
| table _time,event residual, upper_bound

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

It should take into account the "seasonality" trend since you are using LLP.
Predict is generally followed by timechart, but i'm not sure what you're data looks like or what the exact output is. if you remove everything after predict and just look at the chart, can you see the predictions fluctuating as expected? if you use timechart before predict and span=1d or whatever span you need, does that change the prediction?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...