Splunk Search

non-compliant naming convention for workstations

karimoss
Loves-to-Learn

Hello,

I want to detect workstations authenticated to the active directory that are not compliant with our naming conventions.( hostname should start with the country code followed by 6 numbers. Exemple for a host from italy :IT000121).

I have already a lookup file (| inputlookup code_countries.csv | table alpha-2), but I don't know how to compare it with the 'Workstation' field in my active index to make it match the naming convention I described above.

Regards,

Labels (4)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

Your base search to get all workstation names e.g. | tstats count WHERE index=windows by host
| searc NOT ([| inputlookup code_countries.csv | table alpha-2 | eval host='aplha-2'."*" | table host])
| where match(host,"^\w{3}\d+")
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @karimossl,

let me understand: do you want to find all the Computernames from Active Directory logs that aren't in the lookup or what else?

if this is your requirement, you could run:

index=win* NOT [ | inputlookup code_countries.csv | rename alpha-2 AS ComputerName | fields ComputerName ]
| dedup ComputerName
| sort ComputerName
| table ComputerName

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

karimoss
Loves-to-Learn

Hello @gcusello 

No, i want to find Computernames that are not conform to a naming convention.

The Computer  name should start with the country code (e.g., Italy: IT, France: FR, USA: US), then followed by 6 digits.

Computer Name: US111220 => Good

Computer Name: DESKTOP-121 => BAD

Computer Name: FR000121 => Good

Computer Name: Kali => BAD

Best Regards,

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @karimoss,

in this case, you have to create a regex to search for ComputerName:

something like this:

| regex ComputerName!="^?![A-Z]{2}\d{6}"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...