Splunk Search

metadata command giving different answers on different search heads

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I recently loaded a 4.2 search head onto my laptop in order to use it for testing some view development in a way that I wouldn't impact production users but could still use production event data. On my new search head, I've noticed the dashboard_live screen in the search app is off by several billion events compared to our production search head. Running this search on the two search heads:

| metadata type=sourcetypes

will give back different results. The one on my laptop excludes one of my sourcetypes with over 5 billion events. The one on the main search head/indexer (which is 64 bit btw) does not. Given my laptop is a 32-bit machine, is just just a case of the count is too big for a 32-bit integers or is something else afoot?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I think you got it right and the count returned by the metadata command is limited by your 32bit system to approximately 2 billion events.

If you want to perform further testing to confirm this, you could scope metadata to some individual indexes with the "index=" argument and compare those values. Try to get close to 2 billion events and see if that's the breaking point.

You can also try the following and see if it breaks 😄

* | head 1 | eval test=2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2+1 | eval result=if(test>2147483647,"win","lose!") | table test, result

Let us know, I'm curious but too lazy to find a 32 bit instance right now.

View solution in original post

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I think you got it right and the count returned by the metadata command is limited by your 32bit system to approximately 2 billion events.

If you want to perform further testing to confirm this, you could scope metadata to some individual indexes with the "index=" argument and compare those values. Try to get close to 2 billion events and see if that's the breaking point.

You can also try the following and see if it breaks 😄

* | head 1 | eval test=2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2+1 | eval result=if(test>2147483647,"win","lose!") | table test, result

Let us know, I'm curious but too lazy to find a 32 bit instance right now.

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, the eval works well above 32 bits. But, metadata limited to a specific index leaves out a sourcetype with > 4B events in it. This breakage may be specific to metadata... But it's not a big deal, it's just a test search head.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...