Splunk Search

log volume by host

bgill0123
Loves-to-Learn

Hello,

I have 26 hosts reporting data to a specific index. These hosts are prone to malfunction at any time 🙂

Is there a search I can do that will show me any dramatic increases in logging volume from any of the hosts?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @bgill0123 ,

The below query will give the total count of events per host every hour for the index. You can select any chart to see the pattern.

| tstats count where index="indexname" by host, _time 
| timechart span=1h sum(count) as count by host

If this reply helps you, an upvote/like would be appreciated.

0 Karma

effem2
Path Finder

Hi bgill0123,

in order to get an overview of the data ingestion rates by host you can use this example:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd fwdType=* group=tcpin_connections(connectionType=cooked OR connectionType=cookedSSL) 
| timechart minspan=30s avg(eval(tcp_KBps)) as "KB/s", avg(tcp_eps) as "Events/s" by hostname

Additionally if you are using the Monitoring Console you can find desired information here:
https://<your_MC>:8000/en-GB/app/splunk_monitoring_console/forwarder_deployment

In order to only get the the dramatically increased ingestion-rates you need to define what "dramatic" means.
If we are going with "double" == "dramatic" then we can run the following example:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd "group=tcpin_connections" ("connectionType=cooked" OR "connectionType=cookedSSL")  earliest="-2d@d" latest=@d 
| fields hostname, tcp_KBps
| bin _time span=1h
| stats max(eval(tcp_KBps)) as "max_kbs" by _time, hostname 
| stats avg(max_kbs) as avg_max_kbs latest(max_kbs) as latest_max_kbs by hostname
| eval dramatic_threshold=avg_max_kbs*2
| eval dramatic=if(latest_max_kbs>dramatic_threshold,"true","false")
| where dramatic=="true"

This will give you a list of hosts where in the last 1h there was a peak higher than the average peaks in the last 2 days.

This can be modified to calculate the Volume as well. 

-----
Hope this helps.
If this answer helped you, please upvote/mark as resolution.

Kind,
Florian

Tags (3)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...