Splunk Search

iplocation.py file missing from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/bin/

rahulkumarfgf
Explorer

Hello Eveyone,
I am trying to use iplocation command to search for ip address info within my network. My search is as below:
eventtype=wineventlog_security
| iplocation src_ip prefix=srcip_
| table src_ip, City, Country

I am getting the IP list with other columns blank. I did some research and found iplocation.py is not present in the above directory. I do have GeoLite2-City.mmdb and iso3166 files in "$SPLUNK_HOME/share/" directory. I am wondering if the missing .py file is the reason for my issue. If so, how can I resolve it?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You!

0 Karma
1 Solution

sumanssah
Communicator

Just to apprise iplocation command will not work with the internal/intranet environment (unless you have not specified your internal IP geo-location explicitly in Splunk.

Try with external/internet address/host

Example

| makeresults 
| eval src_ip="8.8.8.8"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sumanssah
Communicator

Just to apprise iplocation command will not work with the internal/intranet environment (unless you have not specified your internal IP geo-location explicitly in Splunk.

Try with external/internet address/host

Example

| makeresults 
| eval src_ip="8.8.8.8"
0 Karma

rahulkumarfgf
Explorer

Thank you @sumanssah !

That helped. Will try and add the IP's and check if that works. Thank you!

0 Karma

sumanssah
Communicator

you're welcome 🙂

0 Karma

rahulkumarfgf
Explorer

I would like to know if iplocation.py file has been deprecated with the newer version since I was looking at this link
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/37249/specifying-field-w-iplocation.html
and thought it would be helpful to look at the code and make some changes as per requirement. However, I am not able to find the file.

0 Karma

rahulkumarfgf
Explorer

Update: I was on version 8.0.1 and upgraded it to 8.0.2, however, still can't find iplocation.py file.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...