Splunk Search

iplocation.py file missing from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/bin/

rahulkumarfgf
Explorer

Hello Eveyone,
I am trying to use iplocation command to search for ip address info within my network. My search is as below:
eventtype=wineventlog_security
| iplocation src_ip prefix=srcip_
| table src_ip, City, Country

I am getting the IP list with other columns blank. I did some research and found iplocation.py is not present in the above directory. I do have GeoLite2-City.mmdb and iso3166 files in "$SPLUNK_HOME/share/" directory. I am wondering if the missing .py file is the reason for my issue. If so, how can I resolve it?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You!

0 Karma
1 Solution

sumanssah
Communicator

Just to apprise iplocation command will not work with the internal/intranet environment (unless you have not specified your internal IP geo-location explicitly in Splunk.

Try with external/internet address/host

Example

| makeresults 
| eval src_ip="8.8.8.8"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sumanssah
Communicator

Just to apprise iplocation command will not work with the internal/intranet environment (unless you have not specified your internal IP geo-location explicitly in Splunk.

Try with external/internet address/host

Example

| makeresults 
| eval src_ip="8.8.8.8"
0 Karma

rahulkumarfgf
Explorer

Thank you @sumanssah !

That helped. Will try and add the IP's and check if that works. Thank you!

0 Karma

sumanssah
Communicator

you're welcome 🙂

0 Karma

rahulkumarfgf
Explorer

I would like to know if iplocation.py file has been deprecated with the newer version since I was looking at this link
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/37249/specifying-field-w-iplocation.html
and thought it would be helpful to look at the code and make some changes as per requirement. However, I am not able to find the file.

0 Karma

rahulkumarfgf
Explorer

Update: I was on version 8.0.1 and upgraded it to 8.0.2, however, still can't find iplocation.py file.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...